Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1994 Mercury 60hp rebuild

Hey guys,

I am planning on doing a rebuild on my 60hp Mercury SN# 0D295335 I have a nice crack in my block that goes from one side, right by the starter bolt, and goes clear across to the other side right under the stator. I was having a fuel leak issue after finally getting my boat back from the shop. It was running great but after a trip out I discovered fuel and oil all over the inside of the cowling and motor. The flywheel was throwing it everywhere. I ended up taking it back in and they discovered the crack. Well after some searching I found a block. So I am gonna swap it all out. Old block out, newer one back in.

So my question is... What am I going to need as far as parts?(I know ill need a gasket kit of some sort) Any advice on steps to take? What about a break in period?

I am trying to do this myself but I will have a friend who rebuilt his 175 Yamaha helping me as well.

Here's some history

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=522509

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=739589

Thanks,
    Tyler C.

2. Member
    block work [hone and checked for wear possible bore] id replace bearings and mabe pistons if it has some hrs on it/ serv man will help with torque and break in
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    block work [hone and checked for wear possible bore] id replace bearings and mabe pistons if it has some hrs on it/ serv man will help with torque and break in
    Thanks Joe.

4. Member
    yea man
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Anyone know where I can find a service manual? Any website have an online version?

6. Member
    order one from merc dealer

A few more questions. I was able to get some photo copied pages of the torque specs, and break in process. But what I don't have is the gas to oil ratio for the break in fuel. Is it 50 to 1?

Also, I was thinking about adding a water pressure gauge. Is it worth it? Do they make one available for my motor?

8. Member
    50/1 they are nice, they do make them id use a 0-15 lb might save a mtr

Where would I find one?

Thanks Joe

10. Member
    prob any marine dealer or order one on innnerneck

Quote Originally Posted by tYLoU View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a service manual? Any website have an online version?
    Once you find the manual number, you can search on Ebay. Sometimes you can find a used manual cheap but you never know until you search.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    I would replace every seal as well. Be careful with the kits, sometimes the kit does not contain every seal you need. I would also take the opportunity to put in new carb kits, a fuel pump kit, spark plugs, and all filters. Look at a parts breakdown on one of the internet sites based on your serial number and you can make a shopping list of all the parts you need to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by straffordengineer View Post
    I would replace every seal as well. Be careful with the kits, sometimes the kit does not contain every seal you need. I would also take the opportunity to put in new carb kits, a fuel pump kit, spark plugs, and all filters. Look at a parts breakdown on one of the internet sites based on your serial number and you can make a shopping list of all the parts you need to purchase.
    I did get a seal kit. Already rebuilt the fuel pump. Plugs are new. Just replaced the fuel filter and all the hoses too. What do the carb kits consist of? I think mine should be good. I also found a service manual on eBay like you suggested. Also right now I've been looking at boats.net, but don't see a water gauge anywhere on the parts breakdown. That's the only thing I'm having trouble finding.

Just replaced the fuel filter and all the hoses too. What do the carb kits consist of? I think mine should be good. ...don't see a water gauge anywhere on the parts breakdown. That's the only thing I'm having trouble finding.
    A full carb kit consists of almost everything replaceable in the carb and is quite expensive ($45). I suggest the carb gasket kit which just contains the necessary gaskets for a carb disassembly. I only use 3 gaskets out of the kit. The bowl gasket, the carb to manifold gasket, and the small gasket for the top plate of the carb. It does not contain a float needle. You have to purchase it separately. The carb gasket kit and the float needle will cost about $18 per carb but the full blown carb kit with everything cost about $45 per carb and you wont' really need anything out of the kit except for the 3 gaskets and float needle. Your carbs might be in great condition but since you have the carbs off and are rebuilding everything, why not spend another $60 and have everything new. I would plan on putting new plugs in after you have completed the break in period. You should run double oil after the overhaul for a while and this will do a number on the plugs. Plugs are cheap anyway. About $8 for all 3. Concerning the water gauge... are you talking about the water gauge on the dash? If you are, this is not part of the engine and you won't see it on a parts diagram. Look at Sierra Marine Catalog for gauges.

15. Member
    aftermarket for w/p gage

Only issue right now is trying to find where to ground the rev limiter. Trying to find a place to ground it. Can't remember where it was ground.

I ended up grounding it to the voltage regulator. Got everything back together today. Turn the key and the starter won't turn it over. Battery tests at 12.9 But the starter seems weak. Voltage at the starter solenoid is 12.86. What else should I check?

18. Member
    grounds clean and secure

Voltage at the starter solenoid is 12.86. What else should I check?
    Check the voltage output of the starter solenoid (going to the starter). Check cable connections on both sides of the starter solenoid and at the starter itself. Make sure negative side of the starter is grounded good.

Quote Originally Posted by straffordengineer View Post
    Check the voltage output of the starter solenoid (going to the starter). Check cable connections on both sides of the starter solenoid and at the starter itself. Make sure negative side of the starter is grounded good.
    When I put the leads on the bottom and top terminals of the starter, it's only pumping 5ish volts when I try to crank it over. Haven't got around yet to checking all the grounds yet. Maybe today. Also, from the right side of the starter solenoid it's a yellow wire, it's short and going to the bottom of the starter. For some reason there are two wires. Looks like they're serving the same purpose. Is there a need for 2 cables there?

Last edited by tYLoU; 06-21-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast