Help w/ grilling pork chops

Found some porterhouse looking chops at the grocery, looked too good to pass on. I have a difficult time cooking pork and without it being dry and tough. I'm looking for some grilling tips to 1, keep it tender, and 2 make them favorable. Chops are about 3/4 " thick Thanks ...BF

2. Member
    I cook pork chops to about 142-144. They stay moist and they are fully cooked.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

3. Banned
    If cooked hot and fast remember to pull at least 5-8° early for carryover temp rise.

4. Banned
    I've seared them in a HOT pan before putting them on a grill, then grill at a fairly low heat. As others have posted, don't overcook.

5. Banned
    I actually prefer a inch thick center cut pork chop (1 lb.) to most cuts of steak.

I use a good rub (Rendezous), and just cook'em like a steak--6 minutes per side. Then I finish them off with a high quality (not mass produced) barbecue sauce.

I use a marinade base of 50/50 soy sauce and lime juice. The citric acid starts to soften them up. Throw into it whatever floats your boat. Garlic, paprika, hot stuff... After an hour or so, they hit a hot grill just like a steak to medium rare. Pork loins, chops, and tenderloins are fairly lean and go from really juicy and good to dry and cardboard quickly.

I agree with Bamaman on the chops. A good thick pork chop not overdone will water your eyes.

7. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, gonna give'm a try...BF

8. Member
    When I do standard cut chops (about 1/2") I will cook on both sides will just start to brown & pull them & wrap in HD Alum foil....turn off grill & set them back in there. Even with heat off & wrapped, they still continue to cook a bit.

The 1" butcher cut one's I will do the opposite, wrap in HD foil 1st to cook for about 20-25 minutes then take them out to sear.....this works similar to the reverse method for steaks but with different meat/results.

Usually a marinade or similar will help. I like doing honey mustard chops quite often.

9. Member
    I brine all of my pork and let soak overnight. I wouldn't cook pork another way. I have experimented with many different seasonings and haven't found one I didn't like.

10. Banned
    A simple marinade of Italian salad dressing is a great way to keep them from drying out, and really adds a faint flavor that complements the meat well. I've been doing this for pork and chicken for years, and the family loves it. You will drown in juice when cooked to 142 and a rest.

11. Member
    Indirect heat is the key for me. I cook em right over the coals and close for about 2 minutes on each side then put them on the top rack of my grill right under the exhaust pipe(add sauce at this time if desired). Then I lower the coals as low as I can, add 2-3 chunks of peach wood, and let em cook for 20-30 minutes. When I take em out, I'll let em sit about 5 minutes before serving. They are really good every time.

12. Member
    Pull at 140-42 tent in foil for about 5-10 minutes. they will explode with juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I actually prefer a inch thick center cut pork chop (1 lb.) to most cuts of steak.

I use a good rub (Rendezous), and just cook'em like a steak--6 minutes per side. Then I finish them off with a high quality (not mass produced) barbecue sauce.
    Totally agree on cooking technique. Dry rub, cook like a good steak. I do 2 min sear, 4 min med. Then flip and do same thing on other side. Then barbecue sauce.
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200