How do you know when your engine is mounted to high or to low?

Verado 300 pro
    2B376111

How will I know if my engine is set at the right height? I only have 10 hours on Boat and motor and when boat was delivered the engine was all the way down. The motor was raised by the dealer from the advice of someone who has been running same boat and motor and prop that I have. I have tried to look while on plane with someone driving and the cavitation plate looks to be on top of the water. The motor seems ok on fairly calm waters but in wavey conditions and running with the waves it sounds like the prop may be coming out of the water at times. I am running a 4 blade prop. My last boat my engine was mounted directly to the transom so this is all new to me. Thanks

2. Banned
    In most cases you should be able to clearly see the top of the anti-ventilation plate when the motor is on plane and trimmed to the optimum trim angle. Generally this will result in no other adverse effects.

However.

Like most things in life, there are trade offs to be made. The higher the mounting height the less drag there will be from the motor being in the water and the performance will improve. Depending upon the height however the propeller may start to ventilate before the engine can be trimmed up fully. It might start to lose water pressure if the water inlets come out of the water. Also, in a sharp turn, or in rough waters, the propeller may ventilate somewhat.

Each operator decides for himself what is more or less important. In my own case when I raised the height of my motor, and when the motor was trimmed upward, I noticed that in sharp turns the propeller was prone to ventilate. My choice was to install an anti-ventilation plate (it helped the issue and was beneficial for another reason) and to trim the motor downward going into the turn and then trim it back upward coming out of the turn. A different operator might have found the plate or the procedure to be unacceptable, in which case their motor could be lowered to prevent the propeller from ventilating in the turn.

Loss of water pressure or no control when it get rough it is to high
    dont believe there is to low other than a slower hole shot and slower top end

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you on a Jackplate- or mounted straight to the transom?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Are you on a Jackplate- or mounted straight to the transom?
    Don, I have a Triton multi species and it came with a 6" manual jackplate. Thanks

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    With engine info/serial, boat info, prop info, and performance info, a determination can be made as to the health of your setup.

Performance info includes:

-GPS Speed
    -Engine RPM'S (Preferably from Smartcraft)
    -Water Pressure
    -Weather/Water Conditions
    -Current Height (Prop to Pad).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor