Extending a rod handle

I have a rod that I bought to use for jerkbaits. I chose it because it had a shorter handle that wouldn't get caught on my jacket or arm when working a jerkbait. But, that rod didn't work as well for jerkbaits as I had hoped. So, I'd like to extend the rod handle 3-4 inches, so that the end will rest against my side when retrieving a bait as this will help with my hookset, so I can use it for other moving lures. Anyway, here's what I was thinking...remove the butt cap and get a piece of dowel rod that will fit into the end of the rod blank. Glue the dowel in place and add cork rings. What's wrong with this idea? Go ahead and shoot me down or give me other options!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Skip the wood dowel and use a section of an old rod blank. I did, anyway. The arthritis in my hands is so bad that I pretty much have to cast with two hands, except for underhand pitches.

3. Member
    What he said. I save any old broken rods for repairs or extending. Find one that fits close to the diameter and epoxy it on. Done. You can also pick up rods cheap at yard sales. You are not looking for the guides so it really does not matter how crappy they are...

4. Member
    And as you extend the handle, add the weight necessary to balance it in your hand. A balanced heavy rod is easier to handle than a light rod that is tip heavy. Balanced you support with your hand, unbalanced requires forearm muscles that fatigue us older folks.

I just extended the handle on a musky rod that way. Cut off the old butt cap, and then cut off a few inches of the handle on an old fiberglass donor rod. Epoxied the two together with a piece of rod blank inserted inside both - had to wrap one end of the blank with thread to slightly increase the diameter on one end.
    RodHandle.jpg
    Extension is the last four cork rings and butt cap from old rod.

6. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Extension is the last four cork rings and butt cap from old rod.
    The only way you can tell is that your cork is nicer!

That's how I extend rods too. I have a garbage can full of broken rods for just that purpose. This is a Dobyns Fury I extended for someone last year. I think the scrap I used was from a SCV.

BTW, if you ever have to do this to a Dobyns, be careful, the butt cap has a 2" long piece of steel running in to the blank. I was supposed to extend this rod 3", but by the time I got the butt cap removed, I had to do a 5" extension to achieve the desired length.