Thread: Whopper plopers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whopper plopers

For some reason I never tried one. Bought 4 last fall and put them in the boat and promptly forgot about them. Always thought if it will catch anything a buzz bait should do just as well. Forward to the present day I happen to open a box while fishing and there they laid. What the heck I'll give it a chance for a few minutes. we had already caught a few on buzzers and poppers. Fish had shut off and we were fixing to head to the ledges like always. First cast I caught a 2.5 lbr. Second cast another 2.5. My fishing buddy was not getting hit during this time so he said give me one of those stupid looking baits. Gave him a bone colored one and 2 casts later I bellied a 5 plus fish for him. I have to admit I really didn't have much confidence I would ever catching anything but crap for fishing with it. They would wait until you stopped moving it and just as you started the first crank of the reel handle they would smash it. I'm impressed. May have found my new favorite night fishing top water. Always used a black/blue buzz bait. I guess I'm just a creature of habit and not open minded enough.

2. Member
    Bought my first one this week gonna try it this Saturday. I hope I have the same results you got.
    1999 pro craft 200 super pro 200hp Mercury EFI 25p trophy plus, worked by mark. large vents. 25 gallon gas one full live well two guys and gear wot 66.2 5900 rpm

3. Member
    It's replaced the buzzbait for me until the grass reaches the surface. If I'm not snagging grass with the big trebles, I'll throw it. If I do get grass, I throw it on the weed line edges and then buzzbait over it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    We've been throwing the 90's in Monkey Butt with enough success to keep one tied on. Ordered my first 110 size last week.

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    The 130 size won me a club tourney last sat!

I bought a couple and used them several trips and nothing. Finally caught one about 3 1/2 pounds last time out but that was the only hit on it, gonna try it again tomorrow and see.

7. Member
    mine is still a virgin?? no strikes or anything on it??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I've made about 15 cast with my 90 so far. Nothing yet but in about 3 weeks when the mayfly hatch happens, my black one is gonna get ravaged.

Still surprises me when I read about guys not catching fish with them. It replaced my buzzbaits 2 years ago, always have one tied on.

10. Banned
    They will draw fish in open water too.

11. Member
    Here's a retrieve tip that has worked amazing for me.

Cast, steady retrieve for 5 turns, then fast turn (spits water)....repeat all the way to the boat making sure to spit water at every piece of cover along the way.
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

12. Member
    Smallmouth absolutely destroy them. The only bad thing about them is if theres any type of debris floating it messes up the action of it.

Dave Barker - Pittsburgh, PA

2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP 2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by merc200xs View Post
    Smallmouth absolutely destroy them. The only bad thing about them is if theres any type of debris floating it messes up the action of it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Mine wants to roll while retrieving. Tail spins and works fine just the body likes to roll around.

15. Member
    Like I said it was my first time.lol Results may vary from now on but I most certainly will fish it some anytime I am in the right kind of water. When fish start chasing shad on the surface Look Out! I won't junk my buzzers but I am a new convert. Some on here have been fishing them a while now with good success. I'm just slow to try new things I guess. It took me a couple of butt kickins to tie a hub cap size spoon on also. Hey,why are we talking fishing stuff anyway? Thought that was against the rules in the lounge.lol

16. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I'm gonna try one tomorrow a guy I use to work with gave me it late last year so I never threw it now is the time have a tourney tomorrow and maybe the smallie will crush it
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

i have caught fish on them. its not my "end all" bait. just another bait to use when the situation arises.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

They catch fish. I have one tied on most of the time and go to it more than a buzz bait. If there is cover (grass or brush/sticks) that will hang up the treble hooks i throw the buzz.
    The 130 is a lot to control but if you have large open areas with grass you can chunk it a mile and cover a lot of water. The 90 is more controllable. I'll have to get my hands on a 110.
    Last edited by TX721; 06-02-2017 at 06:33 PM.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

19. Member
    I have had one for about a year and not even a blow up on it. I will stick to my frog and buzz bait

Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    Mine wants to roll while retrieving. Tail spins and works fine just the body likes to roll around.
    I have one that does that and it drives me nuts, it's a white one, I have a bone, 2 monkey butt, black and yellow that all run perfect. I was hoping I was going to read a post about how to fix the issue without sending it back to River2Sea.
    GO DAWGS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast