Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 efi hard start

iv got a 2002 200 hp efi that is new to me,when it is cold it cranks right up , but when i run it a while it is hard to start.If i give it throttle it will start, but being an efi im pretty sure it should crank and idle with no throttle at all.

2. Member
    Yep Don will want your SN .

3. Member
    ser number 0T467866 any help in pointing me the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

4. Member
    it should start with ease when warm,first I would check all the basics when mtr will not start ,spark and fuel delivery,also sensors and set up [timming] at idle hope this helped JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    I am have a similarly issue. Once u get it started does it idle with out haveing to leave your foot on the gas?

6. Member
    Don, told me, when I had my 1999 EFI 200, that the primer bulb needed to pumped before each start and He was right.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger842vs View Post
    I am have a similarly issue. Once u get it started does it idle with out haveing to leave your foot on the gas?
    No it idles fine after I start it

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardhead1 View Post
    Don, told me, when I had my 1999 EFI 200, that the primer bulb needed to pumped before each start and He was right.
    the bulb always seems hard,that's the first thing I tried after hard starting thanks for the replies guys I'm hoping to run it tomorrow if it's not raining

9. Member
    looks like it will be a week or so before i can run it,after i do i will check in

10. Member
    report back
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    sleeper bird you described my same problem to a T . i have a filter in my bilge that i am going to replace and see if that helps. i have a 2002 efi 175 . i am interested to see what you come up with or anyone else and will let you know if i find anything

12. Member
    im a little baffled myself

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 03ranger185vs View Post
    sleeper bird you described my same problem to a T . i have a filter in my bilge that i am going to replace and see if that helps. i have a 2002 efi 175 . i am interested to see what you come up with or anyone else and will let you know if i find anything
    Mercury doesn't recommend adding aftermarket fuel filter's to their motor's. may cause it to run too lean. is what I was told.

14. Member
    i got this boat last fall and the filter was already in place. It has always started with the click of the key until recently. But i will bypass filter to see if that helps thank you

15. Member
    very true MIKE/tried diff brand fuel ???

16. Member
    well i think my problem was bad fuel.I filled up with gas this morning and after fishing a spots it started just like it should. JOE54 you were correct
    sleeper bird i hope your problem is that simple too

17. Member
    me too

18. Member
    my problem is back. merc not wanting to start after warms up. After more research i think it may be a stator going bad. I see there are a few brand options . Any i should stay away from and should i change any other parts or just stator. Is this a straight forward job or is it something a merc mechanic should do also can the old stator be repaired

19. Member
    I would have to do some testing before I replaced stator/flywheel gota come off/ no to repairing old one

20. Member
    His motor is a down draft engine and should have a Alternator and a one box( ECM ) unit .....no stator .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast