Exhaust Plate Gasket Leak

2008 200HP Optimax
    Serial 1B544800

While fixing/testing my pinched water pressure tubing (previous post), I discovered a slow leak from my upper exhaust plate gasket. 2 small pinholes with little drips coming out of them. Based on corrosion, it has been happening for a while, so maybe a good thing I accidentally pinched that tubing and stumbled onto it.

Anyways, the dealer can't get to it until next week and I had plans to go fishing with a buddy this weekend. My question(s) for the experts, is this a critical failure waiting to happen if I run it? For example, does the outside of this gasket deteriorating potentially indicate the rest of the gasket is on the way out and could allow water into a cylinder somehow? If I keep an eye on pressure and temp (smartcraft), and/or add some gasket sealer to the pinholes, can I run it without much risk of further damage?

Obviously, the best thing to do would be to wait, just wondering the risk I would be taking if I used it or any way to temporarily fix the issue.

2. Member
    No way to tell the condition of the gasket on the inside........Is one fishing trip worth damaging an other wise good the motor???

3. Member
    Kind of what I was thinking, thanks Savage.

4. Member
    If you see it at idle on the hose .What do you think it looks like running at higher rpms . Time to pull the power head .

5. Member
    Good point.