Can a 10 foot Talon fiberglass pole be replaced?

Can a 10 foot Talon fiberglass pole be replaced? It was accidentally deployed when I was pulling up a ramp. I do not know how much was "ground off" Thanks!

2. Member
    The previous owner of my boat did the same thing, he just called Minn Kota and they gave him a replacement for free.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

3. Member
    Minn Kota does not want to sell it to me. Any suggestions?

4. Member
    What did they say? I don't know why, he didn't have an issue.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

5. Member
    Are you the original owner? They should give you a free one if you are the original purchaser.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

6. Member
    07 STRATOS 176XT

7. Member
    They were pushing for the unit to be returned to them or a service center over 100 miles away.

8. Member
    Oh
    07 STRATOS 176XT

9. Member
    Has anyone tried to replace the poles on their own? How hard is it to replace the pole?

10. Member
    Apparently nobody can answer this question. I've been searching trying to get help as well.

11. Member
    Call a service center and ask them if it is something that you can replace yourself and if they can order one for you. I believe they have a lifetime warranty so you shouldn't have to pay for one. I just dropped my Talon off at a local dealer who is a MK service center but they don't repair the talon and they are shipping it to the nearest facility for me for warranty work on the paint coming off. It didn't cost me anything to ship them, I just have to deal with the wait time.

12. Member
    We repair the Talons here. The spike can be replaced, but it is quite involved if you don't have the special tools involved. Spikes have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, but only MinnKota can send a replacement to the customer. ASC's have to do the work for warranty service.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    I replaced both spikes on my 12' talons to yesterday.. Accidentally deployed going down the road. Long story short make sure there is nothing that can bounce around inside and hit the down button.
    They are very simple to replace but as Jonestrollingmotor mentioned above you do need the correct tools, and buy that all you need is a 1/8 pin punch (to drive out the roll pin) and a 2mm Allen wrench (to remove a set screw). Literally takes 30 min max.
    I live close to 300 miles from the nearest ASC so MinnKota sent me spikes via USPS. MinnKota customer service is second to none hands down.
    2017 Nitro Z-19

14. Member
    Are you the original owner? Here is there warranty info on the spike.
    MINN KOTA LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY ON THE SPIKE
    JOME warrants to the original retail purchaser only that the spike of the purchaser’s Minn Kota Talon shallow water anchor will be materially free from defects in materials and workmanship appearing within the original purchaser’s lifetime. JOME will provide a new spike, free of charge, to replace any spike found by JOME to be defective during the term of this warranty. Providing a new spike shall be the sole and exclusive liability of JOME and the sole and exclusive remedy of the purchaser for breach of this warranty; and purchaser shall be responsible for installing, or for the cost of labor to install, any new spike provided by JOME.

Just call them up and give them your serial number and ask them to send you one under the warranty. Don't try to buy it.