Used bass boat purchase with old gas

So I just bought a used bass boat from my dealer. Having him service the engine and lower unit. So good start there. I somewhat know the history of the boat and that the previous owner took meticulous care of it. I also know it sat in his garage for 4-5 years without any use.

There's about 40 gallons of fuel in the tanks. I'm sure he put stabilizer in but is it still OK to run it or should l I just drain it out and start with new? It would hurt to dump $120 worth of gas but I also don't want to damage my Yamaha 200 (2 stroke). That would hurt even more.

2. Member
    Take my advice. Drain it. Take the fuel bulb off and connect a scrap piece of hose and dump it. If you think its still ok run it in your lawnmower. If it looks bad find a place to take it. Old fuel is not worth the risk.

3. Member
    Dealer's going to call the previous owner which is awesome.

How do you know if gas is bad?

4. Member
    If it has a funny smell or is brown like varnish. Lol.

The dealer should be doing this for you.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    The dealer should be doing this for you.
    Yeah no kiddin!

7. Member
    Unless you were with the previous owner the last time he filled the tank, drain it. It's not worth the headache of a motor that won't start or runs terrible. I would get a suitable container and drain it yourself. When I bought my boat the shop I took it to charged me $10 a gallon to drain it!

8. Member
    I actually solved this mystery guys thank you. Turns out it was filled less than a month ago with Premium!! Bonus