Crystal lake / Benzie county..

Anyone ever fish up there in the Spring?? ...I have never fished it and it is only around an hour from my Cabin....Thinking about trying out some new water up north after the week of 12 June..Looks like it could be good smallie habitat and it is close to the big water...

Found this video of a guy scuba diving...There is definetly crayfish and smallies there and it is clear water.,....

Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 05-31-2017 at 03:18 PM.

2. Member
    Missing each other by a week.....will be in leelanau 24th to the 1st, hoping the bays will be on!

Was up a couple weeks ago. Temps were still 46-48. Tough bite but beautiful water!

4. Member
    It's crazy how the wind affects the water temperatures on great lake bays. Plenty of inland stuff to fish up there, but the bays are my favorite.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Missing each other by a week.....will be in leelanau 24th to the 1st, hoping the bays will be on!
    I may run up to the East Bay if the weather cooperates..I have never fished the south end much I usualy launch out of Elk Rapids but it is closer for me coming from Cadillac..
    Have you ever launched out of the Traverse city launch by the Beach??

6. Member
    Never launched in town, know of a couple county launches where 2 are required (hard bottom,gravel) when i fish lowere east bay, I like to launch at the ramp on old mission when solo. If I run into ya at work, I can show ya a couple other options...

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I may run up to the East Bay if the weather cooperates..I have never fished the south end much I usualy launch out of Elk Rapids but it is closer for me coming from Cadillac..
    Have you ever launched out of the Traverse city launch by the Beach??
    Never launched there but I have seen boats launched. Not a very good spot and not much parking.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Anyone ever fish up there in the Spring?? ...I have never fished it and it is only around an hour from my Cabin....Thinking about trying out some new water up north after the week of 12 June..Looks like it could be good smallie habitat and it is close to the big water...

Found this video of a guy scuba diving...There is definetly crayfish and smallies there and it is clear water.,....

Yea, I do charter fishing there. In the spring one of the best for bedding fish. It has been getting hammered the last couple of years. tcbassdestinationcharters.com
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Yea, I do charter fishing there. In the spring one of the best for bedding fish. It has been getting hammered the last couple of years. tcbassdestinationcharters.com
    That's strange...You never hear much about it other than ice fishing......I guess it all goes in cycles...

10. Member
    My wife's family has a place on the lake so we go up there every year. Beautiful lake and we hardly ever encounter other bass boats. We will be up there the week after the 4th of July can't wait!
    2002 518 DVX

11. Member
    Calling for Thunderstorms all week............. Finally take some time off..UGGGHHH!! Looks like I will try to stay inland around Cadillac and get out between the storms....

12. Member
    I was on there last weekend and it was perfect timing tournament took about 21 pounds to win lots of 4 pounders in there. But as of today its a grind. I would go to the bay that south end is as blast on east bay. I was on west bay yesterday and it was fun but the big ones aren't up there yet from what i saw. Good luck to you.

13. Member
    Wife and I have been on Crystal since Saturday, we have caught tons of rock bass and about 15-20 smalliies. The biggest was about 3.5. Caught most of our fish on tubes, shaky head and Ned rig in 15- 25 feet of water......We don't know the lake that well and have no mapping so we are quite happy with our results. We love this place!
    2002 518 DVX

14. Member
    I'm going up north next week and I am going to head over there for a day...
    I do here alot of talk about how many Rock Bass are in that lake...I've never fileted a rock bass ..Are they any good??

15. Member
    They are delicious, especially out of the northern lakes....freshwater grouper!!!!