Thread: 2017 21 TRX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Monkeyfish what is your prop to pad ? I'm running a 25 Fury. It lifts better running deep. I've been playing with this since I have an atlas hydraulic plate. I noticed a considerable difference dropping it down on the scale.

2. Member
    Most I have got from my 2016 is 72 seems to run better with plate around 15 It don't seem like bow lift is a problem I was told it likes to run motor high and bow flat am still learning to drive her. I am 2nd owner

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

3. Member
    My numbers were with the stock 10" zlock that came on the boat. I was sitting 3 1/2 p2p. I have a b&b'd 26 Fury and was turning 5900. Over the winter I put on a Bob's 10" hydraulic and haven't played with it yet. Broke my leg recently and still can't walk, so it's going to be a bit before I can dial it in.

Forgot to mention I have the wingmaster LU. I read they like to run higher, that's why I opted for a hydraulic JP to make tuning easier.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfish View Post
    It's a 2016
    Runs flat like some Rangers I've been in. No bow lift.
    How's it set up? Do you have Power Poles?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    How's it set up? Do you have Power Poles?
    also forgot to mention that I have 2 blades. The numbers I quoted were with the 2 poles, 250 Pro XS w/ wingmaster LU, b&b'd 26 Fury (with a little cup) and original z lock 10" JP. 1/2 tank of gas, 2 people, full livewells (with water, no fish :( ) I was turning 5900 RPM. I installed a Mercury Vessel View link to show digital info from motor so my rpm's are accurate.

6. Member
    also forgot to mention that I have 2 blades. The numbers I quoted were with the 2 poles, 250 Pro XS w/ wingmaster LU, b&b'd 26 Fury (with a little cup) and original z lock 10" JP. 1/2 tank of gas, 2 people, full livewells (with water, no fish :( ) I was turning 5900 RPM. I installed a Mercury Vessel View link to show digital info from motor so my rpm's are accurate.
    We are set up pretty close to the same as far as equipment. I'm running a 10" Atlas hydraulic plate and a 25P Fury 3 blade. My 2014 ran best with a 25P Fury 3 blade at 3 1/4" and would run 76 solo and 72 loaded all day long. As soon as I can complete the testing of the wedges I will let you know. As long as you are not seeing significant prop slip numbers, you should be seeing mid 70's with a 26P Fury 3 at 5900. You're not packing the whole garage in the front compartment are you?

7. Member
    Great thanks stein3411. Looking forward to hearing about your test results.

The only thing I carry in the bow are the fishing rods, aluminum paddle, and safety kit. All the tackle goes in the aft compartment. Oh, and some water and snack in the cooler. That's really about it.
    Last edited by monkeyfish; 06-14-2017 at 11:05 PM.

8. Member
    Great thanks stein3411. Looking forward to hearing about your test results.

The only thing I carry in the bow are the fishing rods, aluminum paddle, and safety kit. All the tackle goes in the art compartment. Oh, and some water and snack in the cooler. That's really about it.
    We will work together along with others to find the best results. We all want the best performance and should not hoard our findings. Each boat, motor and prop are different. However after 35 years of running bass boats, there is always a common starting point. From there, we start making the necessary minor tweaks to get the best results. There are many great people on this site that share great knowledge and experience. I'm hoping that my results will be positive and can help.

9. Member
    Here's an update on my boats performance. 2017 21TRX / Mercury 250 ProXS / Atlas 10" hydraulic jack plate/ twin Power Pole 8' Blades / Motorguide 109 TE / two Lowrance HDS 12's / three Trojan SCS 225 batteries / one Centennial 1150 battery. 2 degree wedges between the outboard and jack plate for more positive trim. The wedges had no effect on decreasing the hole shot, hole shot was good. I noticed a slight improvement on the bow lift, my bow lift was pretty good without the wedges. Test runs were with 38 gallons of fuel. boat loaded with tackle and gear (I consider my gear load medium/heavy), no water in the livewells and 215 lb driver. The lake that I ran on is a deep natural lake (300') with clear water. Elevation is 312 ft. 70 degree surface water temp. 74 degree air temp and slightly humid, light chop --- perfect running conditions. The prop to pad measurements are where I achieved the best top end results. RPM and water pressure readings were from my Smartcraft, MPH was taken from my Lowrance GPS (Point 1).

25P Tempest Plus 3 Blade
    Factory prop / no work
    Two large plugs and one hole open
    3" prop to pad
    5900 rpm
    25 psi water
    74 mph (GPS)

25P Fury 3 Blade
    Factory prop / no work
    All holes open / no plugs
    3 1/2" prop to pad
    5825 rpm
    25 psi water
    75 mph (GPS)

Both props had a good hole shot and the Tempest Plus had a little better bow lift than the Fury. The outboard only has about eight hours on it and I'm expecting the motor to loosen up a little more. At the end of the runs I flooded both livewells and made a run with the Fury. Top end speed dropped from 75 mph to 73.5 mph. In my opinion, the wedges helped.

10. Member
    I was going to post something tonight so I will do it here since everyone here is interested in topic. I bought a 2016 recall boat so I am 2nd owner.
    I my self contacted Marty and we talked for a bit. the wedges are for positive trim. I was seeing 72 with tourney load and my fat ass only. Per our conversation as I was buying a new prop when I got off the phone with him, He stated the Fury 25 3 blade was the best option and the wedges if needed. I went with a new Fury 3 Blade 25 pitch the same prop I had. On a side note once I got the 2 props together I was able to see the prop I had was very different so the prop was no good.
    I went out this morning with myself and my Grandson he aint much say 80 lbs. and full tourney load 3/4 tank fuel. What a different boat the hole shot was better. at around 65 she became a little swirly and needed some driving to keep from walking I then felt a lift in the boat and speed shot up to 72 quickly and she was hooked up and going with zero effort to keep on pad I kept hitting the trim and was able to get 74.9 constantly. there was plenty lift and the 250 Pro XS was at 6100 RPM Water Pressure was at 20 + jack plate was at 17.
    As I play with her I will post more

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Your stated RPM (6100) will cause the motors Rev Limiter to go off.....

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Your stated RPM (6100) will cause the motors Rev Limiter to go off.....
    That's on dash gauge it is very close to 6100 the rev limiter is not going off motor stays running strong. Would I feel the limiter?

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

13. Member
    Yes.....Your Tach is not accurate.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    Here's an update on my boats performance. 2017 21TRX / Mercury 250 ProXS / Atlas 10" hydraulic jack plate/ twin Power Pole 8' Blades / Motorguide 109 TE / two Lowrance HDS 12's / three Trojan SCS 225 batteries / one Centennial 1150 battery. 2 degree wedges between the outboard and jack plate for more positive trim. The wedges had no effect on decreasing the hole shot, hole shot was good. I noticed a slight improvement on the bow lift, my bow lift was pretty good without the wedges. Test runs were with 38 gallons of fuel. boat loaded with tackle and gear (I consider my gear load medium/heavy), no water in the livewells and 215 lb driver. The lake that I ran on is a deep natural lake (300') with clear water. Elevation is 312 ft. 70 degree surface water temp. 74 degree air temp and slightly humid, light chop --- perfect running conditions. The prop to pad measurements are where I achieved the best top end results. RPM and water pressure readings were from my Smartcraft, MPH was taken from my Lowrance GPS (Point 1).

25P Tempest Plus 3 Blade
    Factory prop / no work
    Two large plugs and one hole open
    3" prop to pad
    5900 rpm
    25 psi water
    74 mph (GPS)

25P Fury 3 Blade
    Factory prop / no work
    All holes open / no plugs
    3 1/2" prop to pad
    5825 rpm
    25 psi water
    75 mph (GPS)

Both props had a good hole shot and the Tempest Plus had a little better bow lift than the Fury. The outboard only has about eight hours on it and I'm expecting the motor to loosen up a little more. At the end of the runs I flooded both livewells and made a run with the Fury. Top end speed dropped from 75 mph to 73.5 mph. In my opinion, the wedges helped.
    Thanks for the update stein3411. I haven't had the chance to tinker with mine yet. I'm finally out of the cast and just started walking (with crutches). I hope to get out soon and play with the setup.

15. Member
    Thanks for the update stein3411. I haven't had the chance to tinker with mine yet. I'm finally out of the cast and just started walking (with crutches). I hope to get out soon and play with the setup.
    I'm sending a damaged 26P Tempest Plus to Mark Croxton. Looking to have it repaired, re-pitched to 25 and blueprinted. Got a hunch this might make the first team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12