Nitro Z18 and the nitro Bonding process.

Hey all,

I'm in the process of researching boats to purchase in the more than likely distant future. I've got quite a few boats I'm looking at and the Z18 is one of them.

The main question I have at this point is it seems Nitro may have changed the way the attach the top cap to the hulk. It states on their website "Deck and hull are chemically bonded 360 degrees and mechanically fastened with stainless steel fasteners every 6". " as I've heard more times than most that you need to tighten down the screws under the rub rail, I am wondering if this eliminates this need or if this "chemical bond" is merely silicone. Does anybody her know or had to tighten these screws already?

Nothing needed to be tightened on my Z19... And the bonding process is the same on my boat....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

3. Member
    Nothing yet needed to be tightened on my Z18. Fingers crossed.....
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

I'm not sure, but my interpretation is mechanically and chemically fastened is screwed, glued, and siliconed. That's how my z8 is. But z7 were only mechanically fastened. And they could get water passing through the rub rail into the rod lockers.

5. Member
    If glue is used, I'll be happy. A buddy has a 2011 Z7 and has had to tighten them since it was 6 months old.

Glad to hear others are not having issues with their newer boats.

Its kinda like full composite construction, which does not mean no wood. I have had my z21 almost a year and have not had to maintain the screws yet. Have not even seen if there are screws under the rub rail.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

You should be able to see the joint from inside the drivers side rod box. At least you can in mine but you have to stick your head in there to see it. It is actually a very clean and neat joint. I was looking for possible water intrusion locations and I'm convinced after inspection of the cap to hull joint, it ain't the cause of any leaks on my boat.. But you can see the screws as well.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    You should be able to see the joint from inside the drivers side rod box. At least you can in mine but you have to stick your head in there to see it. It is actually a very clean and neat joint. I was looking for possible water intrusion locations and I'm convinced after inspection of the cap to hull joint, it ain't the cause of any leaks on my boat.. But you can see the screws as well.
    Did you try the water hose method?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Yes, no leaks at the Rub Rail. I think it is coming in through the back part of the rod box lid somewhere, but I can't duplicate it...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

10. Member
    I get some in my lockers right where the handhold cutouts are at the rear of the lids. Only happens in hard driving rain or when trailering in heavy rain and its not much water, but definitely comes in at that spot
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

That is what I was thinking as well...

Thanks
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

12. Member
    Had a 2010 Z7 I would have to tighten the screws under the rub rail at least once every couple months they would come so far out at times you could look down the rub rail and see screw heads bulging the rub rail outwards. purchased a Z20 in February of this year zero issues to date.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL Pro
    2023 Pro XS 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Dual CM2 8' Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2022 GMC AT4 3500 HD Crew Cab Duramax
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

13. Member
    Rubrail screws were doing the same on my 2000 procraft until I put some loctite on each one of them and ran them in. Not much loctite, but enough to hold. Did that 6 or 7 years ago, 0 issues since.