Question Spinnerbait detail hardware questions...

Needing to roundup the detail parts to make some spinnerbaits to get exactly what I want...hopefully! Got the heads/hook/frames made by Paul Amstutz. I had him use .040" wire. I'm using my fav 1/2 oz War Eagle as a pattern to start with. I can bend the wire ok, but...

What swivels, beads and clevises do I need to order?

I measured the W.E. swivel, inside splitring to inside the opposite splitring at 18mm, or about 11/16". Does that sound right?

The W.E.'s have 1/8" beads, so I'll order 1/8", but should the beads be solid or hollow?

Looking at the Netcraft size chart (printed it out), it appears the W.E. clevis might be #3 or #4 "wire clevises"???

I can't afford to order the wrong stuff, hence the questions.

2. Member
    For the swivel, you want either a Sampo or Worth ball bearing swivel. I use Worth and buy direct from them but if you want a smaller amount you can buy from Barlow's tackle, they sell the Worth swivel, along with the light split rings made specifically for the swivel separately, you put the split rings on yourself and save a good bit of money. The only size is a #2, that size works on spinnerbaits from 1/4oz to 3/4oz and you would use the same size #2 if you use a Sampo, both swivels are made in USA and are the best you can get. For .040 wire you will need a size #3 clevis and for beads I use the hollow metal beads, the solid beads will work but they add weight to the blade arm but with .040 wire it won't matter much. The solid beads were once preferred because the hollow beads would often have burrs around the holes that would catch on the clevis and slow the spin down but over the last 8 years or so I have not run into that problem and I use a lot of hollow metal beads. The last thing is the clevis, get a stirrup clevis, also called and easy spin clevis, folded clevises work well on thin wire like in-line spinners use but once you hit .031 and up the stirrup or easy spin clevis is the way to go.

Thank you for the 411, Smalljaw67. Much appreciated. Been up to my butt in cedar fence and gate project as weather permits.

4. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    excellent suggestions
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

Great info there!
    If you have any questions, or run into problems ask me!
    I am here to help:)

And I want to see these baits when you get them finished!!

Paul

PROUD BBC SPONSOR