Thread: tire wear

tire wear

ok I have talked to a lot of my buddys that have older boats and most of them are having the same problem, with tire wear. I had to replace a tire this weekend cause it was wearing on the inside shoulder and not equally across the tire. the sizeis207/75 R14 and they are 6 ply trailer tires.
    Basshawk Restore
    89 Basshawk 181Xl
    91 Jonhson 175 Fast Strike

2. Member
    Same exact issue. Everything I read says I need a new axle and the axles are worn out.

3. Member
    I have a tandem axle and didn't have that problem until I replaced the bushing and shackles/bolts. Now the right front tire wears out on the inside. Tried to get it lined up but no luck. I've noticed some other rigs in the parking lot that are older have the same problem. Go figure.....

My 2000 model yr trailer never wore tires at all until I had my axle replace now it wears on the inside so it has to be some way to align these things to get them straight instead of a guesstamate

My single axle has a tendency to wear on the outside. I'm assuming it has something to do with sidewall flexing and towing. Just went to a bigger wheel and better tire to hopefully fix it.

How about the string-alignment trick the old motorcycle guys used? Might work on a tandem-axle to check same-side tire toe alignment.
    Wrap a piece of string (50 lb [insert brand name here] braid will work) horizontally around both tires just below the axle. If axles and tires are true, the string should touch the front and rear sidewall of both tires - if there is a gap somewhere, it would indicate toe is off on one or both. Might have to jack up to take weight off the tires so sidewalls are under pressure.
    Not very high-tech, but a quick way to check toe.
    If you put another string lower near bottom of wheel, and compare to upper string, it might work as a crude camber check too.

Edit: Obviously this doesn't work for a single-axle. But you could place 2x4s across the face of each tire horizontally, and measure space between 2x4s from one side to the other in front of and behind the tires to check toe.

My single axle did this and it was because it was toed out too far. It was either replace the axle or bend it back so the toe was right. I used a hydraulic jack and a chain and bent it back on the horizontal axis until the toe was close to zero (I think it is now an 1/8 inch toed in measured front of tires to back). It stopped wearing on the inside after that after that. It's probably been 6000 miles since it was done.

You could take it to a trailer shop and some of them will align the axle for you.