Fish and Ski question

I am looking at a 2005 Bayliner 184FS and wondered if any of you have any experience with or knowledge of this boat. I am going for a water test on Friday and just wanted to gather as much info beforehand as possible. Boat is a one owner and in excellent condition. Max hp is 135 and this boat has a 90 so hoping it is not too underpowered. Not looking to do any ski/tube pulling just for some fishing and joy riding with the wife. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    I have not owned one of these boats, but have ridden in the I/O version of this Bayliner. Personally, I think there are many other fish & ski boats that perform better and are more fishable. Bayliners are known as low budget boats.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

Thank you. Any recommendations on things to look for and/or check out When I go for the water test?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos92 View Post
    Thank you. Any recommendations on things to look for and/or check out When I go for the water test?
    Have the same number of people on board as you expect to normally have. Make sure the boat will come on to plane in a reasonable time. At full throttle, trim the motor for maximum speed and check the rpm. It should be within the manufacturers recommended max rpm range. If not, the prop is the wrong pitch or the motor has a problem. Check for boat porpoising at planing speed. Porpoising should be eliminated by trimming the motor down slightly. Check for excessive steering torque at planing speed. Torque should go to neutral as you trim up to normal running attitude. At neutral steering torque, the boat should turn easily in either direction. After the water test, pull the hull drain plug and check for water in the hull. Loosen the lower unit drain plug and check for water or milky colored oil. These are some of the things that come to mind, but I'm sure there are more.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

Thanks again for the info. I am novice boat owner (this will be my 2nd) and this info should help me greatly. The first boat was a disaster, so hoping this one will go better. It seems to be well taken care of and in great shape.

6. Member
    Good idea about the same number of people at test time as you would take to the lake....

7. Member
    Be wary of it of it has a force engine.
    Joe Shelby
    2007 190vs ranger reata
    200 opti

Not a force motor. It has a regular Mercury 2-stroke engine.