225 verado stalling

225 verado 1B301164
    In 2014 verado was stalling- cutting power @ wot..Don suggested I change spark plugs, t stat and map sensor and it ran like a top, not a single hiccup until yesterday. Engine warmed up fine put the gas to it and it died, would not start( plenty of battery 13.4, fresh fuel with quickleen, oil level good) gave it two hours, it started idled fine got outside of marina eased into the throttle and died again, would not start and beeped indicating a code was thrown so I quit there. Removed t stat no debris in t stat, pulled plugs all looked equally used, checked gapping and reinstalled.. I did not record all info I should have from smart craft, engine temp was 130 @ idle when I eased into throttle it rose to 147 and then died.I will call Tuesday to see how fast I can get a printout off the computer as that helped Don diagnose last time. Thank you for any info you can give in the mean time.

2. Member
    Took the boat in to a verado certified mechanic. The diagnostics indicated that "map sensor idle fault" fault seconds 54 times And that's the only fault of any kind..mechanic replaced map sensor and boot and cleared computer "ran the engine" and said I was good to go..I take the boat out after the fix and it idled in the marina for about 100yds and died and beeped 6 times and never stared again...

3. Member
    map sensor idle fault could be related to the etc or a restriction of some sort in the manifold.
    Last edited by vicsservice; 06-20-2017 at 05:37 AM. Reason: corrected by don

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No IAC on the Verado- those functions are handled by the ETC.

See if you can get the printouts... be glad to review them for you.

Also a good idea to go through these items:

1. Verify no WATER IN FUEL and that fuel is of GOOD QUALITY.

2. Verify FUEL PRESSURE when problem is occurring.

3. Verify CLEAN, Properly Connected and WRENCH TIGHT battery cable connections.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor