Thread: Battery Size?

Battery Size?

Hey Guys,

I'm currently installing a pair of Helix 10's on my new Lund 2075 Pro V Bass. The boat came with what I believe is a Group 24 cranking battery. Will this battery be sufficient to power the two Helix 10's plus all the other accessories like the bilge and livewell? Would it be a good idea to install a bigger battery or add a second dedicated battery? All Suggestions are appreciated.

Depends on the age of the battery , I upgraded last year to a group 27 AGM for my cranking and my graphs and group 31 for my trolling motor in AGM's plenty of power all day

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    That cranking battery is nowhere near big enough to run all that stuff and start your engine at the end of the day. Replace it with a Group 31 AGM and you'll be good. What battery charger do you have? The Dual Pros and the MK PC series of chargers will charge an AGM battery
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Nope you're going to want a bigger battery. I have a interstate XHD 31 that works great running all my electronics pumps and lights.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

5. Member
    I like the idea of having a dedicated battery for the graphs and accessories. Would another group 24 cut it for powering the graphs and accessories all day or should I run the livewells and other accessories off of the engine battery? Also should I put the two batteries on a switch to be able to charge both or is that a bad idea?

6. Banned
    bigger is better. most will use a 31 series if it will fit. im running a 100am relion lithium and it runs everything in the boat except the trolling motor, including 2 solix 15

7. Member
    The only problem with another battery is the room to add it and charging it. Upgrade the cranking battery and have a jump start lithium battery as a backup. I like the fact the engine charges the battery when changing locations.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

8. Member
    Does the battery have to be dual purpose or is Deep Cycle ok for starting? This is the battery I am looking at: https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/p...rverName=ATLAS

9. Member
    My boat has a 27 series cranking battery. Running 2 10's(standby on console when fishing) and the livewell pumps on constant gives me a low voltage alarm by noonish. Ive got a spare cranking battery that I will parallel for tourney days now