Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hay farmers step in

Lots of farming in our neck of the woods.
    Yesterday from interstate you could see 2 very large fields of corn.
    The corn crop is approximately 2 feet high.
    The corn is not planted in rows.
    It is what I call "broadcast" planted. Probably a better term from those that know..
    Planted like wheat or hay.
    I can't see anyway a regular type corn picker can work here.
    Do they now have combine type corn pickers like they do for soybeans?
    Just curious!
    If any of the above offends the grammar police I do apologize!

I've never seen corn that was drilled. I'm seen beans that were drilled. Maybe it is going to be cut for silage?

3. Member
    Silage. The new rotary cutters for choppers like the claas, John Deere, krone and so on... you can cut either way

Attached Images Attached Images

It was probably sudan grass. Used as a cover crop or for hay.
    "Do not believe everything you read or see on the internet" -- Abraham Lincoln.

5. Member
    Ya more likely green graze Sudan grass for forage. Not too much corn is going to be knee high yet.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

6. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    Silage. The new rotary cutters for choppers like the claas, John Deere, krone and so on... you can cut either way

That's the exact model my neighbor uses to chop silage. He uses a drill to plant corn so it is in rows. When chopping silage he can cut with the rows or go across the rows. That particular piece of equipment is like a zero turn mower for cutting silage. Its fast and it can turn on a dime. If you look there is a arm that is an exit chute that blows chopped silage out of it. In the picture its lowered. When cutting it is raised and can be turned 180*. My neighbor uses tri-axle dump trucks to catch the silage as it blows it out the chute. The "chase" vehicle can follow on either side or directly behind the chopper. When the dump truck is full another truck will pull along side the chopper and the operator in the chopper will aim the chute at his truck. The chopper never stops. It continues along at full speed even when changing trucks that catch the silage. With this setup a person can cut several tons per hour. My neighbor told me what his can cut but I can recall the number. I love to watch them chop silage. They can make a field disappear quick with that piece of equipment.

Watch how they switch trucks at the 1:43 mark...they never stop, they keep going wide open. It takes multiple trucks to keep up with the chopper. I think my neighbor has at least 4 trucks. A couple tandem and a couple tri-axle.

Last edited by JR19; 05-29-2017 at 04:56 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post

What's one of those jewels cost?

Quote Originally Posted by tdutton View Post
    If you thought that new Ranger that was posted the other day was expensive, you don't want to ask about one of these.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Ya more likely green graze Sudan grass for forage. Not too much corn is going to be knee high yet.
    There is corn taller than knee high in western Kentucky.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tdutton View Post
    Ask Roger Rose...

12. Member
    I hunt in western Kentucky and see these (Or similar) cutting corn. The guys that cut the corn where I hunt upgraded machines a couple years ago, and it's amazing how little waste there is, compared to their older machines. The deer were coming out of the woods behind the machines to eat and there was nothing there? The deer had a "What the hell?" look....lol

My guess would be $4-500,000 for the machine itself. Maybe another $100,000-150,000 for the header.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    My guess would be $4-500,000 for the machine itself. Maybe another $100,000-150,000 for the header.
    5 for the small model and thats about right for the hay head. The Class and kemper heads that wide are around 2

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    There is corn taller than knee high in western Kentucky.

Absolutely....we have corn fields 5 or 6 foot tall right now in south and central Louisiana, drove by several fields yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by merczilla View Post
    Absolutely....we have corn fields 5 or 6 foot tall right now in south and central Louisiana, drove by several fields yesterday.
    Already seeing fresh corn at the grocery stores here.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

17. Banned
    Those machines are commonly called self propelled forage harvesters. They're used to cut corn or cut grasses into bite sized lengths--and fed to dairy cattle. They make corn heads and grain heads for these units. Most of the self propelled machines are found in places like upstate New York where they have huge dairy operations and in the far northern plains. (Much of the U.S. no longer has large dairies.)

I don't recall how expensive the self propelled machines are, as I never really saw that many in my many years in the tractor business. There's no single piece of machinery or tractor in the $500K range.

They also make pull behind forage harvesters most dairymen use. They're the biggest horsepower stuckers on the farm--doing best with 200+ horsepower. And you can tell what they are by the BANG, BANG, BANG sound of the rotating knives.

They'll usually tow oversized forage trailers and blow the forage into the wagon. The forage wagons have bars on the floors(driven by a PTO) that unload the forage. Then they'll use a forage blower on the back of a tractor to blow the forage up to the top of silos where it falls to the bottom.

Dairymen have to have the finest of feeds because the quality of what you feed the cows is directly correlated to the quanty and quality of the milk coming out of those momma cows. Regular everyday hay is just not good enough for dairy cows.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

I don't recall how expensive the self propelled machines are, as I never really saw that many in my many years in the tractor business. There's no single piece of machinery or tractor in the $500K range.
    Have you not seen the new John Deere Quadtrac? 9620rx is over 550,000.

We also call them "choppers"... rolls off the tongue a little easier
    Last edited by dbmickle; 05-29-2017 at 08:44 PM.

19. Banned
    Lots of machines around 500k

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merczilla View Post
    Same here in Northeast Louisiana as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast