How to make white white again?

I had a suspicion that the white gel coat on my boat had a slight yellowed tint to it from other areas of the boat, after peeling off the old console decals it's pretty clear that the white is not exactly white anymore. Is this correctable? I'm replacing the console decals but they aren't an exact match so I'd like to minimize this effect, that you can see in the pics, as much as possible. Even if you could get an exact match, it would be damned near impossible to get new ones back on in exactly the same location as the old ones.

Any ideas on how to reduce or eliminate the yellowed or off white appearance would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Compound the console with a fine cut and an orbital polisher. Staining should come out so it's not so noticeable. Don't forget to wax after compounding...

3. Member
    I was hoping the recommendation would involve compounding and not wet sanding. I've gotten pretty good with a regular buffer, think that would be ok?

You can buff it with a fine cut compound however other factors will determine if you will still have shadowing. Even with wet sanding you still may have it. Age if the gel has a lot to do with it from what I've seen...in most cases wet sanding is needed. When the new decals are applied you'll never really notice it from what I've seen.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Ok, thanks for the recommendations. I'll give it a try buffing first, then maybe light wet sanding. I found a similar effect in a different area after removing a switch plate, it was not in a place where I could easily use a buffing wheel so I worked at it by hand with compound, didn't make much difference. I guess with age and sun exposure it just changes the tone a bit, somehow actually changes the gel coat?

6. Banned
    I would try a cleaner wax first to see if it restores the color. Then a polish. Then a compound. Many compounds are actually a little aggressive on the grit, and you want to start with as little grit as possible and work your way up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Ok, thanks for the recommendations. I'll give it a try buffing first, then maybe light wet sanding. I found a similar effect in a different area after removing a switch plate, it was not in a place where I could easily use a buffing wheel so I worked at it by hand with compound, didn't make much difference. I guess with age and sun exposure it just changes the tone a bit, somehow actually changes the gel coat?
    Most decals are applied at the factory as soon as the boat is complete but the gel may not be completely ready for the decals. Also overtime the boat also fades of course and gel behind the decals don't ...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    I'll let you know what happens with a little elbow grease and trying some different things. Thanks for the info all.

Old wash cloth, comet and a small soak of rag in bleach... sprinkle little bit of comet and rub. notice wear some Playtex gloves. and do not breath the fumes .. I came across this concoction I made years ago. parked at a plant for a few hrs, Visiting.. came out truck was covered up with yellow boiler ash blew out all over the place. left dry small lumps and spots all over, took me awhile then washed n waxed. went back there after a few days. As my Dad worked there. many years ago this was. But Plant Mgr happened to see , and I got a offer to do every vech they owned and employees vehicle's ... So I got $150.00 per car . that was 73 cars. then $400.00 per 5 semi 's . Lucky didn't have to do any trailers since those were leased haha. 5 years after that, was fishing around Hales Bar Marina / Old Dam Site. Floated by some moored Barges , and was blackish oil on surface, I left quickly, had black stain water line all around boat. I tried every thing and it stained the hull. Finally about to repaint the whole hull.. I tried my ol comet/Bleach rub. it took awhile as sorta set in and days later, but it got the crap off, then went back with super fine compound and used the old timey PIA hard to use Carnauba based wax. then buffed out. Figure that black crap must of been #7 fuel oil used in steam plants Boilers ?

10. Member
    huh, interesting idea. Seems like it wouldn't be any worse or harsh than acid wash or toilet bowl cleaner. Any long lasting effects on the gel coat after using that concoction? If the gel coat is discolored from sun aging, still not sure it would work, but could be worth a try.

11. Member
    i got my boat from a guy who ran on the Mississippi and the white hull was stained /dirty
    i used a starbrite wax with ptef
    it went on white and changed to a coffee colour (with cream) as you worked it and wiped it off
    i did the hull but left the part behind the pad to show my self that it worked
    there is a lot of hull under a 20ft boat
    done it once a yr now and still white

12. Member
    Toon brite

13. Member
    I'm finding, in my situation at least, compounding it is making a big difference. I hit it with 3M Perfect-it compound made for automobile just to see what it would do and it made a big difference. It's a small area so to just test things out I hit it with a 3" wool pad on a power drill, not wanting to get my bigger regular polishing pads loaded with this compound. Not totally gone, but I also didn't keep at it with the automotive finish compound. Waiting on some proper gel coat compound and then I'll give it another go. If I can end up with it real sutble, that'll do because as mentioned before, I bet once the new ones are on, anything subtle left behind won't even be seen.

14. Member
    CHECK THIS POST I DID YEARS AGO…http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=264635

15. Member
    TY - yep, saw that the other day, somebody revived it. Might give that a try too, just being topside, I have to watch where anything drips.