Need help with 2016 Pro XS 250

Cranked motor as normal. Idled to boat dock killed motor. Now it will not even turn over. On a 2016 Ranger. Push start button, battery and lights go dim but nothing on motor. Batteries has full charge. Reads 13.1volts at starter checked everything all the way back to battery. Full charge. Is it the starter or key pad? Everything else works fine on key pad. Do not know which dealer to bring it too. Mercury mech does not sell ranger and ranger deal only sells Yamaha and does not have a good mercury mech. Any type of help would be greatly appreciated. Also tapped on starter and nothing.

Probably should stick this in the 3 Liter forum. Much more likely to find someone with knowledge of your set up over there.

Also will need to include your motor serial number, per forum rules.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

One thing I heard that causes touch pads to go bad is charging your battery without turning off the main battery switch. When you first plug your charger in, It jumps up to a high voltage. This ramp can cause problems with voltage sensitive electronics. Does your boat have an emergency key harness to bypass the touch pad? If so it's a quick way to rule this out.

Also heard this may be what's causing a lot of digital boards to fry in trolling motors by not unplugging or turning the main switch off for them. Since your motor is relatively new, I doubt it's your starter but, I wouldn't rule it out just yet either.

Hope you get it fixed up!
    Charlie
    /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.htc.sense.browser/files/TMP

4. Member
    i received a letter from mercury its a recall one of the problems merc is having motor wont restart or start might check that out too.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbass1947 View Post
    i received a letter from mercury its a recall one of the problems merc is having motor wont restart or start might check that out too.
    While this may pertain to the OP'ers engine, it's not going to cause a failure of the STARTER to engage.

Try moving the shifter back and forth and see if it will start (could be Neutral Safety Switch in the control, or a number of other connections in the system).

If that does not solve the problem- use a MERCURY dealer to determine the cause of the no-start condition.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor