Mercury Optimax Steam

{posted this over at THT but thought I would try here too...}

So I finally had my new to me boat out for a really good weekend of fishing.

One thing I have noticed is that after a hard run - 4k-5k RPMs for a few minutes (5 or 6) when I am coming back down to idle to come into the dock, there is a fair amount of steam coming out of what looks like the exhaust hole. I have changed the water pump and thermos (with the help of the great members here) so I am pretty sure those are not the problem.

Is it possible that on slowing down so water from the backwash makes it's way into the exhaust hole? The motor seems to sit really low on the back of this boat and the splash well is only a few inches above the water level so a fair bit of water comes in the well if i slow down too fast.

Open to any and all comments and advice - thanks in advance - getting used to this outboard has been a bit of a challenge for me coming from an I/O.

D

I don't know what causes this but mine does it and I've seen similar reports from others.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    My 2012 150 does the same, always thought it was exhaust.

2010 150. Same thing for me
    French canadian fishing for big st lawrence river smallmouth in a 2010 Triton 18xs, 150optimax 1b778430

5. Banned
    Normal. The engines cooling system water exits through the exhaust.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Normal. The engines cooling system water exits through the exhaust.
    ^^^^

Completely normal.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    see those clouds in back ground steam will be worse in cool humid conditions
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Mine does the same thin g too.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Completely normal. May vary from one 2.5L Optimax to another, but they WILL steam. Water is being dumped between and around the exhaust that exits the tuner (ie: 900 +/- degree F exhaust mixing with cold lake water). Hence the steam you see.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor