Boat unable to get on plane

I recently had two 12ft Talons and a CMC jack plate installed on my 2016 Triton 189 TRX w/ Mercury 150 Fourstroke. I took it out for the first time yesterday and was only able to get the boat on plane first thing in the morning. Every time after that my buddy had to move towards the front of the boat until I got on plane and then he could sit back down in the seat. I did notice that when I was not running the big motor that it was sitting a lot lower in the water than it was before. To fix this problem, I raised the jackplate to raise the motor since it is a manual jackplate and also raised the Talons as high as I could on the brackets. I plan on testing it out on Tuesday. If it is still doing the same thing, what can I do from there?

2. Member
    Make sure the talon is as high in the bracket as it will go. I had to buy a hydro foil for my motor and it fixed the problem and have a better ride. If that doesn't work for you then you'll probably have to change it your prop to get a better hole shot

3. Member
    Milo30, Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. After I do another test run tomorrow if I still have problems getting on plane I will order the hydro foil. Try to do that before ordering a $500 4 blade prop.

4. Member
    I just bought the cheap plastic one that has been around forever at Bass Pro for $50. Worked perfect.

5. Member
    Sounds to me like a prop issue. Putting a jackplate on necessitates that you should get a new prop to get maximum performance. I would go to the props forum and tell them the issue, go buy one and test it out then report the results, someone would be able to make a good final recommendation then return the new prop and get another. Some good prop builders will let you try then buy a prop. I had a 1974 Ranger with a 25hp motor to fish small lakes. It would go 26mph on the gps when I sold it. I went through 5 props to find the right one, only cost me some time and the purchase of one prop.