Stinky hot brakes

When we got to the lake Thursday the port side brakes were hot and smelly. We let them cool and then launched. On the way home there was no problem. My rig is a 2016 Z20 with tandem trailer. I talked to BPS service center and was told about a service bulletin concerning sticking brake pads. They told me how to check them and that I could bring the trailer in and they would do it. I have a feeling nothing will be done unless they stick while being tested.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

2. Member
    Are they a drum or caliper style brake?
    1999 Stratos 273 / '98 Johnson 150hp

3. Member
    Caliper

Are u getting fluid on the trailer tongue? There is a diaphragm on the fill cap. Make sure that is seeded correctly. Which will not let the brakes disengage correctly.
    Last edited by BMCD; 05-30-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    While it could be a problem with the wheel that got hot, don't overlook the other side. If one side isn't working at all, the opposite side my get excessively hot from doing all the braking. Since the approach to many lakes has a lot of downhill, you could be seeing the results of a single brake carrying the load during heavy braking.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Are u getting fluid on the trailer tongue? There is a diaphragm on the fill cap. Make sure that is seeded correctly. Which will not let the brakes disengage correctly.
    Haven't noticed anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    While it could be a problem with the wheel that got hot, don't overlook the other side. If one side isn't working at all, the opposite side my get excessively hot from doing all the braking. Since the approach to many lakes has a lot of downhill, you could be seeing the results of a single brake carrying the load during heavy braking.
    It has only happened that one time. I'm going tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

7. Member
    I have a 16 Z20 and mine stuck also. Got very hot. They did release but I haven't done anything yet.

8. Member
    Well today I took it back out. Everything went well going to the lake. But on the way home I could hear them. I'd pump my brakes a few times and they would get quiet. I stopped on the way home and both brake wheels were hot to the touch. When I got home I checked them again and the starboard side was hot and the port side cool.

It is going in to the Bass Pro Service Center on Monday to let them have a look see.

9. Member
    I dropped by to check on the trailer today. The tech said he smelled some gas and checked around and found some fittings that were leaking. He couldn't get them to stop so he ordered more. They also replaced the slides on the seats as there has been a recall. He also said that he had ordered me a new axle. He said what was wrong but I didn't quite understand. So I am down for a while as parts get delivered and installed.

10. Moderator
    push the manual release under the plastic cap down. sounds like they are on one click and it causes then get hot hot and stink.

11. Member
    what is on recall??? I've heard on this Nitro forum of some Nitro recalls, but I've never been notified from Tracker about any. I've got a 16 Z20.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlkingsbury View Post
    what is on recall??? I've heard on this Nitro forum of some Nitro recalls, but I've never been notified from Tracker about any. I've got a 16 Z20.
    The recall is on the sliding seats.