Ams oil synthetic two stroke pre mix oil

I have a Mercury 175 EFI normally run quick silver,was given some Ams oil does anyone run this ? Does it mix or should I run out the existing oil. My buddy is a rep a I can get it for $25.00 not a bad price I think

2. Member
    I am an Amsoil dealer as well. Amsoil offers several types of 2 stroke oils. Make sure you have the correct one. I bought an 89 Champion 184 DCR with an 89 175 Black Max about a year ago. I immediately switched to Amsoil and most of the "smoke" went away. I would definitely dump out the old oil and start out with the new Amsoil. I use the "HP Marine Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil. If your buddy can get it for $25.00, go for it. That's below my dealer cost. I use Amsoil in everything I own. Just sold an 03 Chevy Silverado with over 300,000 miles on it. Used about a half a quart between oil changes, which was once a year or 25,000 miles which ever came first.

I would run out the existing oil first. I definitely wouldn't just dump out good oil. There's also theories out there that you shouldn't run full synthetic in a steel bore motor, but that's another topic, lol!
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

Why do you want to switch? That about the same for what the big box stores sell Quicksilver Premium Plus so it's not like your saving any money with Amsoil. I think Amsoil makes fine products, and I ran it in 2-stroke dirt bikes, but I don't think you'll find any 3rd party data telling you one oil is better than any others.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Just was thinking about switching to see if it runs better ,less smoke and can get the oil for a good price or next to nothing do alot trade work with my buddy

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil topics are often long, heated, and opinionated.

Recommended oil is Mercury or Quicksilver Premium PLUS (which is a Synthetic BLEND). Mercury does not recommend "full synthetic" oils for steel-sleeved 2-strokes (can only "presume" yours to fall into this category).

Please see the Forum Announcements and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks for your response, greatly appreciated this is why this place is the best,