HD Ultra Map problem

I have an HD Ultra map card that I use in my Echomap 70s. It was updated to the newest
    version 2017.01. It works great in my Echomap 70s but when I put it in my Echomap 94sv
    I get an error message" Can not unlock map" when it is trying to load them. I tried removing the
    .hml file it creates when installed. Still not working but it did recreate the .hml file. Any help appreciated.
    If not I will just have to call Customer Support on Tuesday.

2. Member
    Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like some of their security stuff is involved when trying to move a card between units.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbrain View Post
    I have an HD Ultra map card that I use in my Echomap 70s. It was updated to the newest
    version 2017.01. It works great in my Echomap 70s but when I put it in my Echomap 94sv
    I get an error message" Can not unlock map" when it is trying to load them. I tried removing the
    .hml file it creates when installed. Still not working but it did recreate the .hml file. Any help appreciated.
    If not I will just have to call Customer Support on Tuesday.
    Was your 94sv was registered to Express prior to the chart being updated? If it wasn't, the 94sv must be registered and the chart redownloaded so the chart can be unlocked to the new unit.
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Member
    Did you download the up-date or buy a new card?

If you downloaded the up-date using Express, it is probably locked to the 70s unit. Im guessing it was the unit you registered in Express or the unit you listed when you did the download.

Garmin does two different types of copy protection. They have to do something or all their maps would be sold on ebay at discount prices, sp you cant get too mad at them - other than for not making this more clear when you buy or up-date a map.

Option 1 is to lock the map to a single MFD serial number. This is how the downloads and Express work by default. You can only use it in that one mfd and cant move it or use it in any other mfd. You can however back it up in case you loose it or it gets corrupted. You can make as many copies as you want, but they will ONLY work in that one mfd that it is registered to.

Option 2 is to purchase a pre-loaded sd card. That card can be moved to any mfd you want to use it in - BUT - you cannot back it up or make a copy. You can only use it in one MFD at a time, but you can move it, sell it or give it to a friend or save it for when you get a new mfd. The SD card is locked so it cant be copied. If you loose the sd card or corrupt the map in some way, or the card goes bad, you are out of luck.

Im pretty sure that if you network the two units together, you can share the map between all units on the network while its plugged into one mfd. This has to be the Garmin Hi speed network using the Ethernet connections. I dont think any of the echomaps do Ethernet networking though.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    Todd was right on. I had not registered the 94sv before the download. Registered it and re did the download . It unlocked it for all my registered units.

6. Member
    Excellent! I didnt realize you could use it in all your registered units. I thought it was locked to a single one. Good news.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....