Sportmaster repair!

Before and after pics. Looks like new thanks to Robert Patterson!!! Saved me $2,700, the cost of a new case. Robert Patterson at Prop Dynamics is one of the best at prop work, and lower unit mods!

2. Member
    Most will say it isn't a good idea to fix a skeg on the Sporty, the weld creates a heat affected zone that softens the alum. Looks like he welded in a piece of alum and then blended, looks good. Did he take it apart to inspect the internals for damage? I dought he re-heat treated the case.

Robbie and his crew are great, they did my SHO case and I couldnt be happier with the work. They test a lot and know what they are doing. He explained to me how they weld them up without fatiguing the metal too much (or something like that, actually I think he said it would be stronger than stock) but forget exactly what he said, best to call him for info, again they know their stuff!!! They do awesome work and I trust mine fully running fast.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    I would be interested on how they do this, I have heard the same as what Dean stated here.
    LeaLea

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    I would be interested on how they do this, I have heard the same as what Dean stated here.
    I would give Robbie a call and ask, like I said he knows his stuff and is happy to explain, he answered all of my questions before he did mine, I just forget the exact answer and hate speaking for someone unless Im 100% sure of the answer. That's why I said I forget exactly what he said and people that are curious should call him

Also, the area I was talking about that would be stronger than stock was where the missing chunk was. With mine it was about a 1"x 2" area and I think he said it would be stronger than the stock cast stuff when done. I wasnt trying to imply that the ENTIRE skeg would be stronger.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

6. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Thank you, I was just hoping to hear more if anyone else had experience with this repair. I know things change but the mind set has been never repair sporty like what has been shown. I have a open mind most of the time, and will call for sure if I need something done. And thank you for your input.
    LeaLea

7. Member
    Steve, Wayne repaired mine. It was an Allison cut Sportmaster and he made it into a closer to stock Sportmaster. Billy at HydroTec did the work on it. I have been running it for a good number of years now and had no problems.

8. Member
    Robbie did mine on my stroker. Held up just fine on my boat and then on a 20xrd......Ran for 1.5 years until fishing line ate a seal and killed the lower.
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

9. Member
    I know it looks like it may have a piece in it. But when Robbie does the sporty mod he removes quite a bit of the skeg.

10. RIP -April 30,2023
    ive ran a modded lower against a box stock lower, back to back passes and both ran 112. not an once of speed difference on my boat