Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

Question VZ250TLR Hose Purpose

I pulled the cowling off my 250 HPDI today to pull a little maintenance. I noticed the lower cowling pan had a coating of oil all over everything. Further inspection revealed that the other end of the hose from the lower nipple on the starboard side of the throttle body was lying in the lower cowl.

It apparently came off the bottom nipple of the intake silencer on the port side (below with a zip tie now holding it).

Any of you gurus know what the affect of this hose not being connected might cause? I've had a bad idle and loading issue of late and curious if this might be the culprit. Also since the nipple doesn't have a barb, I don't know how good my addition of the zip tie might be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Those hoses are there to allow any oil/fuel from the throttle body to get pulled into the silencer. Eventually it will find its way to the throttle body ports and combustion chamber.There is also one that goes to the oil tank under the cowl.It is there in the event the switch fails and overflow will end up in the silencer.Having the hose come loose did no harm except some residue in the cowl.

08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Thanks for the response ... It being off also affected the idle. The engine would idle between 400-800 RPM and get progressively richer, sometimes loading up and dying. It wouldn't always crank back up on the first try and sometimes would need to be run up to about 2K RPM to clean it out. After getting the oily mess cleaned up and the hose reattached, I took it to the lake yesterday. She now purrs like a kitten at idle with no signs of trying to load and cranks right up after being shut down for a while.