Question Buying a blown motor advice

If and when it comes time to re-power, I'm strongly considering buying a blown motor to have re-built due to budget and it going on a 17 y/o boat..
    Going on a Ranger 518VX
    150-200 max hp
    2 or 4 stroke
    doesn't have to be a Mercury.

The criteria I’m looking for is

-worth re-building

-not outrageously priced (trying to get it done as cost effective as possible)

-availability of parts

-shops willing to work on it

-reliability

Any suggestions or input is appreciated!

flip of coin, be buying a unknown but blown motor, vs fixing what you have and known. Day ever comes my 1989 will get rebuilt , after that Brand New if I live long enuff

3. Member
    I'm running a 200hp Ficht motor. If this thing blows and I can't repair it myself, I'm parting it out and repowering. (If I don't sell the boat first)

4. Member
    Roper,I'm in almost in the same boat as you,although I did repower in 2011 with a new Opti 200. No problems yet,but when this thing blows,I want to find a 3 liter carbed Merc and rebuild it. Opti's are great engines but are so technical that I can't repair it,other than maintenance.I have the same boat as you but repowering made sense for me because insurance paid for most of it.

5. Member
    find a carb 200 merc simple cheap --er
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................