RX4 prop on 518 w/150ho g2

My boat came with a Raker HO 24p 3 blade and I have seen 61.3 with river current, empty live wells and 3/4 tank of fuel. I was running 5900-6000rpm and noticed it very sensitive to trim and I don't think it will handle a load very well. My question is what effect would an RX4 in a 24p have on my boat, will it turn it? My boat was shipped with the wrong prop but I did run it once, it was a Raker ho 26p and surprisingly it still had a great hole shot but only 5200rpm. Thoughts on the 4 blade? I will also be adding my single Talon now that I have some time on the boat.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

Would probably need a 23p
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Member
    I don't think the RX4 is available in a 23. I believe they are 22, 24, 26

4. Banned
    Try running with a load on your current prop. No sense spending money without testing first.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwalsh View Post
    My boat came with a Raker HO 24p 3 blade and I have seen 61.3 with river current, empty live wells and 3/4 tank of fuel. I was running 5900-6000rpm and noticed it very sensitive to trim and I don't think it will handle a load very well. My question is what effect would an RX4 in a 24p have on my boat, will it turn it? My boat was shipped with the wrong prop but I did run it once, it was a Raker ho 26p and surprisingly it still had a great hole shot but only 5200rpm. Thoughts on the 4 blade? I will also be adding my single Talon now that I have some time on the boat.
    At 6000 rpm you are real close even being empty I would keep it and try after you add the weight, these G2 engines are very strong and will surprise you on what they will do.

6. Member
    The main reason I ask is once I got the 24p I fished a tournament the next day and with partner and fuel I only saw 47mph. Now that being said I felt like the prop had a lot of slip and the boat just never came up on pad. The PTP from Ranger was right at 3" with a slidemaster jackplate. I dropped it just over a 1/4" and tried it alone but still with 3/4 tank of fuel and saw 60-61, I filled the live wells and it ran the same. It still felt like it would slip as it would hover in the low 50's and then it would grab and climb. I did play with trim a lot and it seemed a very small window as to where the prop felt like it grabbed and would feel good. I am adding my talon today and will try with my partner next weekend before I do anything. I will say the torque the G2 has is awesome, doesn't matter what load is in the boat the time to plane is usually 3 seconds or less even when I had the 26p on it. I really love the motor so far I just want to get the best performance out of the boat tournament loaded as that is how it will spend about 50% of its time. Thanks for the replies!

Looking at ordering the same setup soon and I also want the 4 blade prop. Keep us posted on your results.

Yes, I have had Rakers that bit and rakers that slipped, they are not all the same. Could be the prop.

8. Member
    I had the same experience with my z185 and my 150 G2. The Raker prop will not carry a load. Currently I have a 25p tempest plus and am turning 5900 by myself, livewells full, gear full, full tanks and I'm running 58-59 mph. I'm 360 lbs and that's during 85 degree weather. I had a 24 tempest before that and was turning too many RPMS but with two people and full everything I was 56 or so. Trust me the tempest carries a load much better!!
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

To my knowledge you can run Quicksilver on a Rude. I ran a tempest 27 on my 07 Stratos 201 with a Rude HO. The Fury 4 may be the ticket?

10. Member
    There is a guy in my club that just bought a 24p Fury 4 for a Bass Cat with a 250 and I don't think it worked out as well as he had hopped so I am going to beg him to just let me try it as I too feel that could be the ticket. The Raker HO seems fine with just me but even then the trim is very finicky but once I add my partner is seems to drop significantly.

I am ordering an 18 z518 but still can't decide which engine. Any would be sufficient but since I am ordering it, it's becoming mind numbing. Merc PXS has the best price point, the G1 is the lightest and may perform a tad better but the new G2 reads like the bomb. To bad it is brand new. It's going to take some time for everyone to figure the best set up for this combo.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    I am ordering an 18 z518 but still can't decide which engine. Any would be sufficient but since I am ordering it, it's becoming mind numbing. Merc PXS has the best price point, the G1 is the lightest and may perform a tad better but the new G2 reads like the bomb. To bad it is brand new. It's going to take some time for everyone to figure the best set up for this combo.
    I don't think there is a bad choice. I still have not broke 5hrs on my motor and 2 of the 4 times on the water have been tournaments so very little time to play, and you are correct on the lack of set up info. The g2 has unreal torque. I'd like to see the other motors turn a 26p and still have a 3 second hole shot, that being said I have not found the sweet spot on the other end. The g2 is a great motor and the 10 year warranty sealed the deal for me. I troll threads asking "which motor " and it usually comes down to preference and service. Good luck with your choice as I don't think you can make a bad one.

Looking for updates to this post, new numbers, etc...

14. Member
    Still running the Raker HO 24p. I added my Talon and still feel the same way about my current prop. Has a great hole shot and is quick to 50 but then takes forever to really get on pad and climb. I still want to try a 4 blade (fury or RX4) but still don't know if it will turn them, and also thinking of taking Suiebass suggestions and try a tempest. Just over 7hrs on the motor now so I feel like it's broke in.

The last 5 to 10 mph are slow to show on most boats. In my experience, the Raker is a bow lifter and is best suited to boats that allow for it, Ranger's shallow vee weight forward design is not. Back in the day all the weight was in the rear optimizing WOT performance but moving the fuel forward offers better balance. Trade offs. I am convinced a 4 blade something will be the optimum combination.

On on another note, your Raker might need some work to get it to hook better at WOT? Every boat combo is different and will respond differently with every tweak.