Question Tips on removing old trolling motor?

Have a 99 nitro 640lx and even after cutting behind the panel the old motor plugs in and duct taping extensions together to reach the 11mm nuts under the deck to remove the original trolling motor I for the life of me can't get them off. 2 of the Phillips heads on top are basically useless and my arms are way too big to fit through the access hole and ar ent long enough to go through the rod lockers to remove the nuts from underneath.

Any tips on how to get this off I'd love to install the new powerdrive v2 this weekend. Is there a way I can take the whole deck off without having to replace it? Or am I stuck buying a cut off wheel and hammer drill to just break the heads off?
    I so far have only gotten one of the 4 off and it was the closest

Any tips or ideas are appreciated I'm gonna attempt to have my 7 year old take the wrench to it but I don't think he's strong enough to break it free I even had trouble with the one and I am fairly strong.

Get a kid with the ratchet in the remove direction, tell him to turn the nuts, you with a good amount of force hit the correct size Philips screwdriver with a hammer a few times. Then hold your weight on it as the kid turns. Most people use a Philips to small for the screw.

3. Member
    Got it off the nuts were froze from the old rusty nuts. But since I got one off all the way I could kind of lift the motor bracket up and took a sawzaw to the bolts and she's off. Now the only problem is I was told I could take the plug off my old trolling motor and use it to plug into the receptacle and that would be all I would need for the power source but the other motor had 3 wires this has 2 but the plug has 4 places to attach wires so which goes where?

4. Member
    Post in the electrical/wiring/trolling motor section. Mr Jones will help you out and I wouldn'the be surprised if there is a sticky note there or a there here bread that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrown8958 View Post
    Got it off the nuts were froze from the old rusty nuts. But since I got one off all the way I could kind of lift the motor bracket up and took a sawzaw to the bolts and she's off. Now the only problem is I was told I could take the plug off my old trolling motor and use it to plug into the receptacle and that would be all I would need for the power source but the other motor had 3 wires this has 2 but the plug has 4 places to attach wires so which goes where?
    I'm picturing the big round Marinco plug with 4 prongs. I just removed and replaced that one on my boat. Just get on the back side of the receptacle and notice which two lugs the black and red cables are screwed to....then match that to the plug. It's a brain twister but I got it right on the second try.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Get a kid with the ratchet in the remove direction, tell him to turn the nuts, you with a good amount of force hit the correct size Philips screwdriver with a hammer a few times. Then hold your weight on it as the kid turns. Most people use a Philips to small for the screw.
    Reminds me of when I recruited my 12 year old son to help with a friend of mine who was having the same dilemma on his 750lx. My boy went home with a pretty bad fiberglass rash on his arm. He didn't care because he got to hang out in the garage with the guys and steal a couple sips of beer.....my wife was none too happy with the rash or the beer breath.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

SoonerFan hahaha , that beer breath reminded me when I was a kid, folks had morgan david in fridge, I drunk 1/2 of that JUG. in a week, thought it was grape juice, couldn't read back then