Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Question Folks, will the 52" be too big for my Phoenix 618? I fish off shore in the big waves. Always had a 45". But I dk if a 52" will fit on my boat? With the cover?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbassman View Post
    Question Folks, will the 52" be too big for my Phoenix 618? I fish off shore in the big waves. Always had a 45". But I dk if a 52" will fit on my boat? With the cover?
    52" will not fit any rig right retro without a cover alteration
    2014 920/SHO

3. Member
    I ordered a 45” ultrex for my 921 phx, came home and did some research and changed to a 52”. Best decision i have made with my Boat. Barely blows out when on spotlock in 3-4’ waves. I’ve watched some pretty famous guides look like idiots with their 45” shafts blow out every wave when fishing rough water. If you fish calm water get a 45”.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buktmouth View Post
    If you're in a hurry, you can have them cut that 52" to whatever length you want. I cut mine to 48". That way I don't lose the ability to skip cast because the trolling motor is sitting high but I also get a few more inches in the water on those windy, big water days.
    Yup, I know what you mean my old boat had the 52 and I hated it on my Phoenix I have the 45 and love it. If the water is that rough that I need a 52 inch than I need to find calmer water. Think of this to use the Ultex you have to fish into the wind with spot lock and if you have 3-5 foot waves I bet the wind is blowing pretty hard to, how well do you think you are going to cast into the wind even with a spinning rod?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    Yup, I know what you mean my old boat had the 52 and I hated it on my Phoenix I have the 45 and love it. If the water is that rough that I need a 52 inch than I need to find calmer water. Think of this to use the Ultex you have to fish into the wind with spot lock and if you have 3-5 foot waves I bet the wind is blowing pretty hard to, how well do you think you are going to cast into the wind even with a spinning rod?
    sorry clicked on the wrong reply

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff from Iowa View Post
    I think we should be saying what we weigh.. I weigh 165-170, my 52 has caught a little air in 2.5 or so waves with a non boater on the back. if i weighed another 100 be golden Im sure.
    good point

7. Member
    You have to order a boat to the conditions you fish 3/4 of the time. I just ordered a 721 and I was asking myself the same question but since I fish shallow water 75% of the time then I went with the 45” , if it’s 4’ waves out in the middle chances are I’m not going to be there anyway

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    I can sling a 1oz rig or jig pretty well into any wind.
    2014 920/SHO

9. Member
    I have a 45" on my 721. If you dont have poles or talons 45" works great. If you have any of that stuff you need the 52". Once I put the talons on now I get the motor coming out a lot more in smaller waves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12