Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Ya but looking at structure is also important to some.... With mega Is phenomenal at.... Beautiful thing to have 3 frequencies option with the tap of the finger.

2. Member
    SI at 1.2 MHz:

Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trystanking View Post
    Ya but looking at structure is also important to some.... With mega Is phenomenal at.... Beautiful thing to have 3 frequencies option with the tap of the finger.
    if you can tell what the object is with 455(example being stump) and can see the bass beside it, why do you care if you can see the individual roots on mega if you can't see the fish as well or at all? Same thing with down imaging, when crappie fishing I can see each individual fish in a tree or stake bed with 455 on onix clear as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by eddieproctor View Post
    I have came to the conclusion that I wasted my money on the Mega unit! All those pretty pictures have not helped me catch fish! If you have to go back to 455 to locate fish why spend the extra money for the Mega! If I had it to do over I would have purchased a 12" gen 1 and saved $500.00
    This is starting to get interesting !

Last edited by doctorxring; 06-18-2017 at 09:13 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skid00skid00 View Post
    SI at 1.2 MHz:

fish on SI doesn't interest me much until there's a way to figure out the species. Seeing fish in DI and having an accurate map is what matters most to me. I was hoping Humminbird got it right with the mega, guess the jury's still out.

6. Member
    The mega frequency doesn't give as hard of a return off swim bladders that the lower frequencies do. On di, you have to crank the sensitivity up to where you pretty much wash the bottom out in order to see the returns off fish.
    I use mega for side and 800-455 for down depending on how wide of a cone I want. To me, using 1.2k to scan on di doesn't make sense because of how narrow the cone is.
    The only problem I have with 1.2 k for si, is when the fish are sucked to the bottom, I can not see the fish return, but I do see their shadows.

7. Member
    So is the Mega better, worse , or the same for seeing fish?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb357 View Post
    The mega frequency doesn't give as hard of a return off swim bladders that the lower frequencies do. On di, you have to crank the sensitivity up to where you pretty much wash the bottom out in order to see the returns off fish.
    I use mega for side and 800-455 for down depending on how wide of a cone I want. To me, using 1.2k to scan on di doesn't make sense because of how narrow the cone is.
    The only problem I have with 1.2 k for si, is when the fish are sucked to the bottom, I can not see the fish return, but I do see their shadows.
    X2..I can still see schools of bass on mega si but they show up tiny shadows, thinking I'm missing some of the smaller schools that I usually find with 455 tho.

9. Member

Lowered the scroll speed a hair below boat speed and started seeing fish+shadows instead of just shadows on mega si

10. Member
    Nice I'll try that out

11. Member
    I have 2 Helix 10 gen 1 and I have a hard time seeing schools of fish on down imaging. I can switch to side scan and 2d sonar and see them better but its nothing like my buddies Lowrance HDS units. Can someone post some pics of the 1100 or helix gen 1 and gen 2 series so I can compare to this?
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba201proxl View Post
    I have 2 Helix 10 gen 1 and I have a hard time seeing schools of fish on down imaging. I can switch to side scan and 2d sonar and see them better but its nothing like my buddies Lowrance HDS units. Can someone post some pics of the 1100 or helix gen 1 and gen 2 series so I can compare to this?
    The gen 1 helix SI units have blended Di so the images are not gonna be as clear as units with a dedicated Di element

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    The gen 1 helix SI units have blended Di so the images are not gonna be as clear as units with a dedicated Di element
    Yea I'm starting to see that. Now if I use my side imaging and 2d sonar I can find em pretty easy but it's not like the picture of the lowrance or solid I've seen.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba201proxl View Post
    Yea I'm starting to see that. Now if I use my side imaging and 2d sonar I can find em pretty easy but it's not like the picture of the lowrance or solid I've seen.
    Ive been curious as this as well. Dedicated down imaging crystals is the key. I just called humminbird and they told me that only the DI units (gen 1 and 2) or the mega SI units have the dedicated crystals. I would really like to see the comparison between the lowrance and humminbird DI though.

15. Banned
    is this what you guys want to see?

I tried to adjust as much as i can so that they matched. couldnt do it.

edit: Mega on the DI, 455 on SI
    Last edited by Schins; 06-29-2017 at 01:01 PM.

16. Banned
    here's another one a few feet before that last shot

in this shot, the DI and 2D look better than the SI for this baitball.
    again, Mega on the DI and 455 on the SI

17. Banned
    and lastly, heres one in shallow water both beams on Mega and depth adjusted the same.
    theres a nice school midway on the right side

18. Member
    Yea my helix will look nothing like that. lol I even set it up to 800hz to try and get a better picture but the SI was ok but the DI sucked. I don't want to sell my units just to get the megas but I may have too.

Composite DI will show fish very well.

This is composite DI from my Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS---school of bass, caught some of them:

This is composite DI from one of my 1198's, not sure what those are, didn't catch any.

This is another composite DI from one of my 1198's of bass, caught some of those:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    wayne does the chirp make the di better on your 12 si

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast