Thread: Trailer brakes

Trailer brakes

On my 2015 z520c trailer the brakes do not appear to be working. Reservoir had fluid in it but I did add maybe 1/4 cup to being it up to level and pumped the piston a few times. It never seemed to get any stiffer. I can unplug the pigtail and back up an incline, I can also push the piston in until it catches on the lever and still drive away, putting it in reverse just pops this lever free. The parking brake still works, i don't see any fluid anywhere but I started to notice some clunking and the trailer tongue seemed to feel a little "free" when towing. Less than 2 years old so there is warranty but just wanted to know if there was something I could test or check before dragging it in. Now that memorial day is here the garages will be full and behind for a couple weeks...
    JR Hoops
    2015 Ranger Z520C 250ProXS

2. Member
    I`d try bleeding it, then with the tire off the ground, pump the piston with a screwdriver and hold while somebody else tries turning wheel. .02

3. Member
    might be beyond my skillset. Any way to test/verify the reverse solenoid is not the culprit?
    JR Hoops

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Trailer has a three year warranty I believe, this should be covered.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    The reverse solenoid only bypasses pushing fluid to the calipers when energized. By unplugging it it would not be energized therefore you shouldn't be able to backup. If there is air in the line, the air would compress, where as fluid doesn't compress. If it still has warranty, probably best to consult your dealer.

6. Member
    that makes sense. so basically I have a bigger issue since they never get stiff no matter how much I pump the piston, correct?
    JR Hoops

7. Member
    My guess is that if you can't get the piston to firm up at all by pumping it, you've either got a leak somewhere or your master cylinder inside the tongue is shot.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    My guess is that if you can't get the piston to firm up at all by pumping it, you've either got a leak somewhere or your master cylinder inside the tongue is shot.
    Yes pretty sure screamin reel is right --my bet is master cylinder is shot

9. Member
    towed it to the lake today about 50 miles. fluid was at the same level, still slop in the tongue so I'm thinking the master cylinder as well. Whatever is the most difficult repair. It would almost be worth it to pay someone local the labor if ranger would pony up the part but I'm sure they want friendly eyes on it to be certain. Thank you for the troubleshooting brethren.
    JR Hoops