• Mercury Pro Xs 150

11 45.83%
  • Mercury fourstroke 150

8 33.33%
  • Yamaha VF 150 fourstroke

5 20.83%

Ranger RT 198p Motor options

Hello,

I would like some input on which motor would be the best to go with. Reliability, power, and speed. The ranger RT198 has 3 different options.

1. Mercury 150 PRO XS
    2. Mercury 150 four stroke
    3. Yamaha 150 four stroke
    Last edited by BLuRRnAWAY; 05-26-2017 at 02:45 PM.

2. Banned
    I'd run an etec myself. Barring that a pro xs for speed, Yamaha for resale.

Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    I'd run an etec myself. Barring that a pro xs for speed, Yamaha for resale.
    Not a huge fan of the etec, however what is your top speed?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BLuRRnAWAY View Post
    Not a huge fan of the etec, however what is your top speed?
    I said I would run an etec, I have a different boat myself so not an apples to apples comparison. Is there a reason you don't like etec's? I've had two now without a single issue.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Whatever one your mechanic is most comfortable with.

I'm putting a 150HP Optimax on the RT198 that I'm about to order but that's because I already have the engine. If I was ordering an engine, it would be a ProXS because the boat will be spending a lot of time idling around big stumpy southern reservoirs. If I spent most of my time fishing waters where I could run 5000+ RPMs pretty much everywhere, then I'd get the Yamaha 150 SHO. I love the SHO on my glass Ranger.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    E-Tec G2.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I believe there were some reports of lower 60's with the new G2 Etec on this boat. The merc 4 stroke seems to be around 59 - 60.

Quote Originally Posted by psubob View Post
    I believe there were some reports of lower 60's with the new G2 Etec on this boat. The merc 4 stroke seems to be around 59 - 60.

What are the differences between these two motors?

• Evinrude® E150HGL Graphite$29,095*
    • Evinrude® C150PLH H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    I said I would run an etec, I have a different boat myself so not an apples to apples comparison. Is there a reason you don't like etec's? I've had two now without a single issue.
    Had two friends receive new motors as a repower package and have issues right from the factory. They did take care of them, it was just tough for them to deal with there dealer to get to the bottom of it. especially because we have shorter seasons in nh than down south. so time on the water is important!

What are the differences between these two motors?

• Evinrude® E150HGL Graphite$29,095*
    • Evinrude® C150PLH H.O.
    I am thinking the PLH is the new generation 2 Etec high output model that Evinrude just released this year and the graphite is the prior Etec model.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Hello,

I would like some input on which motor would be the best to go with. Reliability, power, and speed. The ranger RT198 has 3 different options.

1. Mercury 150 PRO XS
    2. Mercury 150 four stroke
    3. Yamaha 150 four stroke
    Pro XS is what I will be buying in the very near future. After talking to my dealer, they still think the 150 Pro XS is the best performance for this boat.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

12. Banned
    Had two friends receive new motors as a repower package and have issues right from the factory. They did take care of them, it was just tough for them to deal with there dealer to get to the bottom of it. especially because we have shorter seasons in nh than down south. so time on the water is important!
    The season is even shorter up here in Ontario, I've had zero problems with mine. It does come down to the dealer though, and when the etec first came out, like any new product there were some growing pains.

13. Member
    Mine has a sho had a G2 before lots of problems and evinrudes customer service sucked so will never own another one and pro xs will be your fastest option

Quote Originally Posted by jimbotaylor View Post
    Mine has a sho had a G2 before lots of problems and evinrudes customer service sucked so will never own another one and pro xs will be your fastest option
    Wow, okay thanks for the reply. I am leaning on the Mercury 4-stroke. I used to own a 2016 Merc 75 4-stroke and it was wonderful. Since I'm going to be ordering this rig brand new, from factory I would like to know I purchased the best possible motor.