Wiil Yamaha send a tech to a dealer?

Having a problem with my F115 just randomly shutting off. Took it to the dealer for a second time and they are having trouble finding the problem. Although they have been in contact by phone with Yamaha, is it normal for them to send out a factory tech to help the dealer resolve the problem? Yes, it's still under warranty.

2. Banned
    Yes, Yamaha can and will send a technical support person to a dealer if and when the dealer cannot find and fix the problem on their own. But first, Yamaha will try and help the dealer via email and/or phone. And the dealer generally needs to ask for Yamaha's on-site help. Some Yamaha mechanics are too proud to ask. It is a male macho thing.

Are you in Newnan, Georgia? Yamaha is up the road from you if so. Not so many miles but with the traffic it can be days. Call them and see if the dealer has asked for the field person to come by and help. Make the request yourself. It won't hurt.

In fairness to the dealer and the mechanics working on your motor, intermittent problems are the toughest to find and fix. My guess would be something electrical that comes and goes. It only comes when the owner is using the boat. At the shop, the motor generally behaves.

Good luck.

3. Member
    Thanks Jethro. Yes, Yamaha is just down the street from me, but I'm not sure if they do anything on marine engines. They make ATV's, Golf Cars and wave runners here, I think. The engine is repeating the problem with the mechanic. He's done several things like ECU, etc,but can't resolve the issue. Maybe I will suggest them asking for onsite help from Yamaha. Thanks.
    Last edited by Gotfive; 05-26-2017 at 12:50 PM.

4. Banned
    The Yamaha that addresses outboard motors is the marine group. Based in Kennesaw, Georgia. 90 miles south of Chattanooga.

5. Member
    Gotfive, what is the model of your engine? F115la, f115lb, etc?

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    The Yamaha that addresses outboard motors is the marine group. Based in Kennesaw, Georgia. 90 miles south of Chattanooga.
    Yep, Yamaha's NW of Atlanta on the edge of the city. Newnan's 60 mi. from there--southwest of Atlanta. Surely Yamaha has service reps that can find your problems.

7. Member
    It's a F115LB.

8. Member
    The early f115b had a couple of service bulletins that could create your problem if not addressed. Has your dealer verified that your engine is not a target for these campaigns? One was for a stay bracket near the intake. It can develop a crack, and all of the engine grounds are connected on the end of the bracket. At certain rpms, the harmonics can open the crack enough to disrupt the ground path for the ecu, and it will go to sleep. If the bracket has been replaced, I would physically verify that the bolts holding it onto the block were tightened properly. Loose bolt here will cause the same symptom. The other campaign was for the wire harness being pulled tightly across the starter body and becoming damaged. Again, voltage interruption to the ecu can/will put it to sleep. Hope this helps.

9. Member
    Thank you sir. I will be calling them for an update today and pass along this info.