Excel Bay Pro 220

Ordered the boat a week ago. Having it rigged with a Yamaha VF175 SHO. After reading Seapickle's posts on the H20B, I went with an Atlas 10" hydraulic jack plate. First attempt at a prop is the Mercury Tempest 21 pitch. Got my fingers crossed that this setup will be really close to optimum and maybe see 60 mph out of it.

Now the wait until she is built!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightninn View Post
    Ordered the boat a week ago. Having it rigged with a Yamaha VF175 SHO. After reading Seapickle's posts on the H20B, I went with an Atlas 10" hydraulic jack plate. First attempt at a prop is the Mercury Tempest 21 pitch. Got my fingers crossed that this setup will be really close to optimum and maybe see 60 mph out of it.

Now the wait until she is built!
    Wish you the best, but never seen a fast Excel boat. Way too much boat stays in the water. An Xpress HB20 is a totally different animal.

3. Member
    You think it is because of the pad design? Did the boats you see have a jack plate with more than 4-6" of setback?

I looked at the Xpress and Excel models together. The hull design was very, very similar. I preferred the fit and finish of the Excel over the Xpress. Will have to wait and see how the package works.

4. Member
    The new pad hull on the bay boats should make a difference. Keep us updated!
    "Now that's some high quality H2O"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRudderedBum View Post
    The new pad hull on the bay boats should make a difference. Keep us updated!
    Will do.

6. Member
    Still waiting on boat to arrive. Seems Yamaha 175 SHO's are on backorder. Anyone heard similar?

7. Member
    Engine has shipped and boat is in final finish! Hope to pick it up next weekend.

8. Member
    Ok finally received the boat. Started out with a Tempest 23 pitch prop because the 21 was on backorder. Engine didn't want to rev past 5000 and GPS was 50mph. Boat ran smooth, no porposing. Switched to a Tempest 21 after it came in. Revs to 5500 and getting 54 mph GPS. Pad to prop shaft 3.50".
    Either I need to raise the engine higher (engine to jack plate) or go down another pitch. Any suggestions?

9. Member
    I don not have a suggestion and honestly I would not worry much about speed but I will say that those looks like a fine boat.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I don not have a suggestion and honestly I would not worry much about speed but I will say that those looks like a fine boat.
    I want to get the boat set up properly. It's not entirely about the speed. The engine not revving past 5500 is an indication to me there's more work to be done in the setup. 22' padded hull boats rigged with 175 hp should be able to turn 21-23 pitch props to redline in my opinion.

11. Member
    Raising the engine to the next hole and will test again....

12. Member
    Raised engine one hole upward. 5600 rpm and 55mph. Will have to add a water pressure gauge before I raise it any higher. Don't want to starve the water pump for water and overheat the engine.

Anyone??

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightninn View Post
    Raised engine one hole upward. 5600 rpm and 55mph. Will have to add a water pressure gauge before I raise it any higher. Don't want to starve the water pump for water and overheat the engine.

Anyone??
    I have the same boat with the Suzuki 200 apl. The rpm on the motor is 6200 before kicking out. I've run a 21 three blade and hit the rev at 48 mph w/o trim. Went up to a 23 four blade and hit 54 and half trim before hitting the rev. Talked to my dealer and he suggested going back to a 23 three blade cupped. Still not happy, running 50 and can get it trimmed out to 6200. I'm now confused on where to go from here. I also have a 6" hydraulic jack plate and it doesn't seem to make a difference in speed. Just wandering what you ended up with. Or any suggestions

14. Member
    add cup and raise the motor up

15. Member
    also make sure you are achieving full throttle at the motor. Sometimes the linkage needs adjusting