Thread: Allison 2+2 ?s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Allison 2+2 ?s

New to the forum and and a newly found addiction in Allison boats.

I am looking for a bass fishing tournament boat that can also double as a weekender with the family. This is what lead me to the an Allison 2+2.

1l How is the tournament fishing ability of a 2+2 boat like? I've read tons of comments about it working out great (especially for the co) but wanting some additional input.

2) I honestly could care less about going super fast. My priorities revolve around the fishing platform and the ability to haul around my family when they want to get out (rarely). I also like the fuel efficiency that I keep reading about. I can't afford a new one, and will probably be more interested in an older model so what model boat would you recommend?

3) Where is the best place to find a boat as recommended above? The more I've looked the more I'm noticing how rare they are.

I've been trying to figure out what direction to go and I'm seriously considering an Allison for these reasons and more. I am interested in hearing opinions from some real life experience.

Thank You

2. Member
    There have been more for sale this year but in the past you might only see 2 all year. Also helps if you are willing to travel or have one shipped. If you are a person that must touch it before you buy and not willing to travel much then you could be waiting awhile. Mine was purchased in north carolina and shipped cross country.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

3. Member
    You are looking at the right boat!
    The only thing holding you back from winning a tournament in a Allison 2+2 is your fishing ability. I sold my 2+2 last year and the fellow that bought it won his series out of it. He commented this year that he was doing very well again.

If you're one of the guys that has to have 87 rods under your feet, you can use the center compartment as a rod locker.
    As far as seating, install a rear bench seat if you need room for five or six if you have little ones.

I added pictures of the one I sold last year.........I miss that boat.......it is one of a kind!

SHO 2.jpgIMG_1278.jpgDSC_0008.jpg

Great 4 seater boat. I have the Prosport version (same boat just a center console) and fish with a buddy in his 2+2 all the time. The 2+2 is a better pure fishing platform. I fish as a co in a skeeter and you have way more room in the Allison, because the rear seats are removable and its just a huge open area. Your co can bring everything he owns especially if he uses the rear compartments.

If you fish two in the bow it will be a little tight to be honest. The room for the rear seats has to come from someplace.

Where do you live in TX? We have several of them around DFW. Jay and I will be out in Mount Pleasant this weekend. You can see a 2+2 and Prosport in person. We usually get together every few weeks as well.

I will probably get blasted for this... LOL The fuel efficiency thing is a little bit of marketing spin. I'm sure some truth exists to it, because the boats do fly with minimal horsepower, but I would never buy the boat as that being a huge selling point unless that is how you are going to spin it to your wife.

Just like any fast boat you have to pick and choose your days. This is a drivers boat when you get into the 80's. The lakes around me are so big and often crowded that I spend little time running over 60. Not to mention the wind often kicks the lakes up good. The 60mph ride is incredible on a moderately choppy day. You won't even know you are going that fast.

As you said, finding one is going to be difficult. I bet most sales start with a post like this and we never see the boats get listed.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

The boat looks way better with a Mercury on the back..... Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

6. Member
    2+2 is a great family boat for sure. If you plan on tubing and skiing it is much better than the xb2003 I had in the past and I assume the XB21 prosport as the center walkway makes ski storage much better. I have a couple sets and when out we use the "rod" straps as "Ski" straps and keep 3-5 skis on deck for quick change from skier to skier. Center walkway is nicer in my opinion as well for a family fish/play boat.

The Prosport is likely a better cruiser/haul but design that looks a little prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Great 4 seater boat. I have the Prosport version (same boat just a center console) and fish with a buddy in his 2+2 all the time. The 2+2 is a better pure fishing platform. I fish as a co in a skeeter and you have way more room in the Allison, because the rear seats are removable and its just a huge open area. Your co can bring everything he owns especially if he uses the rear compartments.

If you fish two in the bow it will be a little tight to be honest. The room for the rear seats has to come from someplace.

Where do you live in TX? We have several of them around DFW. Jay and I will be out in Mount Pleasant this weekend. You can see a 2+2 and Prosport in person. We usually get together every few weeks as well.

I will probably get blasted for this... LOL The fuel efficiency thing is a little bit of marketing spin. I'm sure some truth exists to it, because the boats do fly with minimal horsepower, but I would never buy the boat as that being a huge selling point unless that is how you are going to spin it to your wife.

Just like any fast boat you have to pick and choose your days. This is a drivers boat when you get into the 80's. The lakes around me are so big and often crowded that I spend little time running over 60. Not to mention the wind often kicks the lakes up good. The 60mph ride is incredible on a moderately choppy day. You won't even know you are going that fast.

As you said, finding one is going to be difficult. I bet most sales start with a post like this and we never see the boats get listed.
    Yes I have a 2+2 and absolutely love it. I am out on the water most every weekend and would not mind if you wanted to see one/ride/drive in person. As for the fuel mileage if you are coming from a traditional style bass boat it is a lot better. I had a Triton Tr21 with a 225 EFI 3l and literally doubled my mileage. Also just finished a river run a couple weeks ago with another friend in a 191 Champion with a 2.5 200 efi and he burned 21 gallons to my 12 following me all day at low to mid speeds! Wide open they all burn some fuel but the Ally covers the water very well!
    Just holler if we can assist!!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBassB View Post
    New to the forum and and a newly found addiction in Allison boats.

I am looking for a bass fishing tournament boat that can also double as a weekender with the family. This is what lead me to the an Allison 2+2.

1l How is the tournament fishing ability of a 2+2 boat like? I've read tons of comments about it working out great (especially for the co) but wanting some additional input.

2) I honestly could care less about going super fast. My priorities revolve around the fishing platform and the ability to haul around my family when they want to get out (rarely). I also like the fuel efficiency that I keep reading about. I can't afford a new one, and will probably be more interested in an older model so what model boat would you recommend?

3) Where is the best place to find a boat as recommended above? The more I've looked the more I'm noticing how rare they are.

I've been trying to figure out what direction to go and I'm seriously considering an Allison for these reasons and more. I am interested in hearing opinions from some real life experience.

Thank You

I have been in several xb21s now:
    The 2+2 is killer. You can do the 4 seat arrangement or have it custom'd with a bench seat (seat 5).
    Its still a tournament rig and some, it just happens to have more cab room.
    The performance is excellent.
    Its a safe rig also. A lot of boat around you and will handle cross chop/wake (boat traffic) better than other brands.
    Don't worry about the speed thing LOL.... lol its always there
    One of the best riding bassboats period
    The fuel thing is actually true apples to apples. I have seen 3 guys fuel expenses a couple years ago.
    Its a dry ride also.
    Its got bulk storage: this means jackets, beach umbrellas, tents, sleeping bag, ice chest, couple set of skis, heavy jackets, beach towels, multiple bulky life jackets, BBq- grill, and the big beach purse, all fit. LOL
    If the kids act out they can go into the rear storage boxes.
    The comes tournament fishin. It will transform easily just buy some extra carbon tackle trays and a couple shallow trays and your are golden. Pull the rear sets out the back and you can lay giant tackle soft bags in the area and make it your own riggin station. Also rigging the boat for electronics is a dream compared to other bassboats. my 2 cents

Fuel is for real . Most big boats hold 50 gallons or more , I think mine holds 36 .I have owned a lot of brands , could go fish some of my milk runs in others and they would be close to empty when I was done , These go fast boats run the same speed and at a lot less throttle . I can fish a couple trips on that amount as long as I cruise 65 to 70 . Most of the other boats I would be wide open around those speeds .

I can't count the number of times I've been on fishing trips with friends who would basically (cold trail) me all day..
    It is always a shock to them when we stop and fill up after a days fishing.
    They can't believe my little ol 300 gets much better fuel mileage than there 225 or 250..

11. Member
    Would love to find someone anywhere near me( Orange Texas) that has a 2+2. Momma has given me the go ahead to buy one and sell the old 2003

12. Member
    Don't worry about seeing it first just make the leap if you have permission

13. Member
    No distance is too far for an xb21.
    I had never seen an xb21 in person until the day it showed up on my doorstep (45 days into owning it). Haha. Made a payment while it was still across the country.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    The boat looks way better with a Mercury on the back..... Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite pictures of that boat................

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmcfatter View Post
    Would love to find someone anywhere near me( Orange Texas) that has a 2+2. Momma has given me the go ahead to buy one and sell the old 2003
    Congrats! Sometimes it's cheaper monthly to buy new with the extended payments a new boat offers................just saying......

16. Member
    For a minute there I thought I was reading my 1st post on this forum! Seriously, almost word for word. I can tell you this, I was in the exact same boat as you! I have a small young family (5, 2, 2 month old). I tournament fish and needed a boat that I can do that with and then take the family out as well. The XB-21 BasSport 2+2 does everything and more with the upside of being extremely fuel efficient and fast as can be! I had never seen an Allison in person and bought my boat sight unseen from Florida and had it towed to CA and I couldn't be happier. I'm the fastest to my spots at blast off, fully loaded, full tank and a partner and we cruise at 80 mph with an undersized prop. Call me, more than happy to talk you through it 408-85nine 197one
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

The previous owner of mine had a biminl top made for it so you can flip it up with the kids in the boat. Mine also has the removable console so in 5 minutes you go from single to dual console.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    Congrats! Sometimes it's cheaper monthly to buy new with the extended payments a new boat offers................just saying......
    I take it this is what you did. always been scared to see what a new Allison note looks like

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I have been in several xb21s now:
    The 2+2 is killer. You can do the 4 seat arrangement or have it custom'd with a bench seat (seat 5).
    Its still a tournament rig and some, it just happens to have more cab room.
    The performance is excellent.
    Its a safe rig also. A lot of boat around you and will handle cross chop/wake (boat traffic) better than other brands.
    Don't worry about the speed thing LOL.... lol its always there
    One of the best riding bassboats period
    The fuel thing is actually true apples to apples. I have seen 3 guys fuel expenses a couple years ago.
    Its a dry ride also.
    Its got bulk storage: this means jackets, beach umbrellas, tents, sleeping bag, ice chest, couple set of skis, heavy jackets, beach towels, multiple bulky life jackets, BBq- grill, and the big beach purse, all fit. LOL
    If the kids act out they can go into the rear storage boxes.
    The comes tournament fishin. It will transform easily just buy some extra carbon tackle trays and a couple shallow trays and your are golden. Pull the rear sets out the back and you can lay giant tackle soft bags in the area and make it your own riggin station. Also rigging the boat for electronics is a dream compared to other bassboats. my 2 cents
    Thanks. This might have just sold me....HAHA

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tap_tap_boom View Post
    For a minute there I thought I was reading my 1st post on this forum! Seriously, almost word for word. I can tell you this, I was in the exact same boat as you! I have a small young family (5, 2, 2 month old). I tournament fish and needed a boat that I can do that with and then take the family out as well. The XB-21 BasSport 2+2 does everything and more with the upside of being extremely fuel efficient and fast as can be! I had never seen an Allison in person and bought my boat sight unseen from Florida and had it towed to CA and I couldn't be happier. I'm the fastest to my spots at blast off, fully loaded, full tank and a partner and we cruise at 80 mph with an undersized prop. Call me, more than happy to talk you through it 408-85nine 197one
    Wow, that is the exact ages of my children. Kinda just freaked me out a little. Thanks for encouragement. Hearing the family experiences and the fact that you can still comfortably tournament fish has me very interested. Now I just need to find a used one I can afford.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast