Throttle Cable Replacement

I have replaced a throttle cable before in an older boat, but I've never dealt with a rigging tube like what is on the 2016 Nitro I'll be replacing the throttle cable on. I am adding a hot foot, and I am assuming that it will be easier to pull the old cable through the tube to use as a guide for the new cable.

Anyone here have any tips on the best way, or anything I need to be cautious of? I'm just hoping that the cable isn't taped to any of the other controls.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    2015 Phoenix 819

That will work when possible. or tie a pull string to the old cable then use it to pull the new one.
    make the attachment as smooth as possible so it wont snag when pulling.
    Odds are there will be multiple zip ties attached to the existing cable.
    One trick for removing a zip tie with limited access is to (carefully) palm a knife with the blade under your index finger..Use your finger to feel along the cable to the zip tie --- slip the blade tip between cable and zip tie then give it a little twist.. will normally pop right off.. Good luck

3. Member
    If you can fish the new cable from the Hotfoot to the motor without removing the old cable, leave it hooked up to the shift lever box. Unhook the motor end of the old cable, pull the old cable into the battery compartment and secure it out of the way with some tie wraps and run the new one thru the livewell boot to the motor. Advantages in doing this - old one can be reinstalled, if needed; and you don't have to mess with the shift lever box. I've been running the setup for 10 yrs without a problem. And, buy a spare spring for the Hotfoot and keep it in your boat.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    If you can fish the new cable from the Hotfoot to the motor without removing the old cable, leave it hooked up to the shift lever box. Unhook the motor end of the old cable, pull the old cable into the battery compartment and secure it out of the way with some tie wraps and run the new one thru the livewell boot to the motor. Advantages in doing this - old one can be reinstalled, if needed; and you don't have to mess with the shift lever box. I've been running the setup for 10 yrs without a problem. And, buy a spare spring for the Hotfoot and keep it in your boat.
    This is the way to do it.

5. Member
    I was hoping that I could leave the existing cable in place, but I was afraid that the rigging tube is already a little snug. Has anyone had a hard time with that?
    2015 Phoenix 819