Help troubleshooting Mercury

Hey guys, I'm needing a little help troubleshooting my problem. I have a 2001 Mercury 175 EFI, coming off plane at the ramp last week it started running "funny", i idled to the ramp but had to keep a little throttle to not die. I then Had to "hard start" it to get it trailered. I replaced filter/separator, plugs today with no luck, it sounded like it was gonna fire a few times but had to "hard start" it again to get it to run but died as soon a I lifted off the throttle. My next thought is the injectors but I wanted to see what guys thought. Never had a problem and runs strong, I also run treatment in it. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Could be a number of things . I would post it over on the Mercury forum also with your SN . Have you ever had the injectors clean before ? How old is the gas . Is this a down draft engine are smart craft ready .....if so you can have a dealer run the codes on the box . Could lose a cylc. or coil.

Could be the injectors or a sensor issue..

4. Member
    you need to post this question in mercury section,you will need the serial number and i am guessing compression numbers,go back to the main page and go down to the motor section and you will see it good luck

I had the same issue last week. I had good compression in all 6, changed the spark plug and then checked spark. Cylinder 5s coil went out. Replaced the coil and she started but ran like chit.

The tracker valve had a hole in it.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

6. Member
    Well since I got a response from this thread I'll let ya know the bad news. Did a compression test and #5 cylinder is no bueno. Thanks for the help everyone.

Every time ive ever had to keep giving it gas and when you let off it dies like its got a lot of friction to overcome its a blown cyl

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Member
    Thats what I was afraid of, well time to get it fixed so I can quit bumming back seats.