siphon gas from a boat tank help

I've a got 3/4 tank full of last year's gas (its stabilized) but don't want to burn it while taking it out 1st time this year. I also heard people siphon it out and things like that I and just got a siphon kit but i am having trouble getting the hose to the tank where the gas sits in. the hose seems to stuck after about 3ft inside the boat tank tube..help please

2. Member
    In the past I have just disconnected the fuel line from the motor and pumped the fuel out of the tank with the primer bulb. I've heard of someone using a 12 volt electric low pressure pump to speed things up.

3. Member
    Thanks, i just cant get the rubber hose to come off the connector.

I used a junk yard fuel pump from a Jetta to pump my 62 gallons out. Use the main fuel line, if you can't get it apart maybe it's just time for a new 33$ fuel line/ bulb

Unscrew the line coming out of tank, put a hose down
    It answer siphon away...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I used a junk yard fuel pump from a Jetta to pump my 62 gallons out. Use the main fuel line, if you can't get it apart maybe it's just time for a new 33$ fuel line/ bulb
    This is what I do. You can buy a universal electric fuel pump for $30-40.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Remove float assembly, Use a shop vac TO BLOW AIR INT THE TANK (sucking out WILL result in fire), run hose into your waste drum. Don't overpressurize the tank, it can split... have seen it done with air compressor also

1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

8. Member
    Disconnect the fuel line from the motor side of the primer bulb, then add a 3-4ft piece of the same size fuel hose to to the primer bulb. Run the hose over the transom and into your gas can. Pump the bulb until you get a good flow. As long as the end of the hose is below the bottom of the boat it will siphon itself. I just drained about 40 gallons out of my Ranger so I could pull the tanks and clean them before I install my new powerhead so I can make sure the fuel is fresh and clean. I've done this on two other boats also. All it costs is a few dollars for the hose, unless you have some laying around like me.

9. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I too use a fuel pump at the transom works great and not as dangerous. I sat in the parking lot of a motel siphoning 40 gallons of diesel fuel from my tank. Thought about a fuel pump, I bought a cheap one and put alligator clips on it for future servicing etc...