5.1 spinning reel for jig fishing?

Thought I'd try some jig fishing. From what I've read a faster retrieve gear ratio is usually recommended with jigs but a 5.1 spinning reel is the only extra reel I've got for now. I'll be using it with a 6 ft. medium rod, 20lb braid and 1/4 oz. Booya Bitsy Bugs on a clear water, western reservoir. Will this setup work or will the slower retrieve be that big a handicap?

Will work just fine.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Fish it and see what you think...just an FYI, spinning reels with like gear ratios to BC's will generally have larger spool diameters, and thus will usually always pick up more line (IPTs) than a BC - especially in the larger 2500 + sizes.

4. Member
    Give it a shot. If you like it stick with it, if not replace what you think is lacking.

5. Member
    I fish 3/16 and 1/4 oz finesse jigs on spinning gear all the time. It's really helped me gain confidence in jig fishing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Fish it and see what you think...just an FYI, spinning reels with like gear ratios to BC's will generally have larger spool diameters, and thus will usually always pick up more line (IPTs) than a BC - especially in the larger 2500 + sizes.
    ^^^ this. And if it's clear water I'd be using a fluorocarbon or a mono leader. My choice would be fluorocarbon. 6 - 8# test

7. Member
    Make sure youve got a leader. The biggest problem I see is if you need to catch up with a fish off the hookset. However braid should eliminate this problem.
    2013 Skeeter ZX20, 250 SHO
    26 pitch Turbo FXP

8. Member
    Thanks to all for the info. Tied a 6ft 10lb P-Line leader with an "Alberto Knot" on 15 lb. Power Pro braid and made sure it would hold. I didn't want to have to tie it in the boat on a windy day. Didn't get out last week but this week for sure.

9. Member
    Fishing wasn't too good as the only day I could get out was the day after a front. There was a ten degree drop in temperature and windy. I got two good strikes and missed them both. I've never used braid before so I learned about wind knots. Is there a better chance of getting wind knots using braid with spinning gear? I only got two but got them both casting into the wind.

I don't think there's anything really wrong with my spinning setup but I'm going to try a baitcaster. It gives me a reason to get a 7.1 reel and I've already got a decent 6.5 medium strength bait casting rod. I'll stick with the 15lb Power Pro and 10lb Power Pro leader. The lakes around here are pretty clear but the Power Pro, to my eyes anyway, is invisible under water. The "Alberto" knot works, it's easy to cast and strong.