Thru the hull fittings

when I started looking for replacements I was concerned that everyone I looked at seemed to say not for below water line use. Then after doing a little research I have come to the conclusion it is just a liability thing. So now just looking for the exact ones same dimensions in black I feel like am looking for big foot. Some or close but not exact just sucks when your looking on line and can't physically compare them to decide which one to use. One of the things I have noticed a lot of them don't seem to have as wide of a flange as the old ones which may not be a huge deal but when bedding it with 4200 it would be nice to have the wider flange in my opinion. Just curios if any of you had similar issues and what did you end up doing?

2. Member
    If your going to replace them I would recommend the 1 piece brass fittings. You can get a tool to make the flange on both sides.

3. Member
    Am talking more about the barbed type for the live well.

I don't like the plastic fittings like the ones that came from the factory. They do break and sometimes you won't even know.
    If you want to use them anyway, you can carefully measure what you have and then go to the Great Lakes skipper site. They have the biggest selection that I have found.

Marelon fittings are acceptable for use below the waterline. Maybe go that route. My livewell thru hull pump is Marelon.

When I last did mine, I went stainless. (Edit:Actually, chrome plated bronze.)

Last edited by 86 inches; 05-25-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. Member
    Was you able to use the same diameter hole or did you have to make it bigger?

Same diameter. 1 1/8" and 3/4" for my application.

Oh... correction... not stainless. Perko chrome bronze.

These are the parts I used for my 94' 201. Both came from GLS.

Perko 035006ACHR Chrome Bronze 1 1/8 Inch Boat Thru Hull
    Tracker 04E-1305 Perko 0350005 Chrome 3/4 Inch Barbed Boat Thru Hull Connector

7. Member
    Thanks much appreciated by the way I grew up in louiville

Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    Thanks much appreciated by the way I grew up in louiville
    Go Cards!

The good thing about the GLS site... in addition to their huge inventory... is they have very detailed descriptions. For instance, they show pretty much all of the needed measurements for their thru hulls so you can be sure you're getting the right part.

10. Member
    Nice look job

11. Banned
    I too used the metal chrome/stainless, different brand; but they were below water line approved.

12. Member
    I HAVE QUESTIONED WHY MY 96 190 HAD THE BILGE DRAIN ON THE RIGHT RATHER THAN IN THE MIDDLE AS SHOWN IN 186S PICTURE. mY BLIDGE WLLNOT COMPLEELY DRAIN DUE TO THE RIGHT SIDE LOCATION I HAVE THE FITTING UT WOULD BUY ANOTHER TO GET THE FLARING TOOL. cAN I BUY THE TOOL AD IF SO WHERE

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Jim....please turn off your caps! Hard to read and considered shouting in Internet language. No need to shout....we can hear you !

14. Member
    I will give a vote of confidence to Marelon fittings. They don't rust or discolor and they are virtually maintenance free. I'm not against bronze, stainless, or chrome over bronze, just saying white Marelon on white hulls looks clean to me.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billwahoo View Post
    I will give a vote of confidence to Marelon fittings. They don't rust or discolor and they are virtually maintenance free. I'm not against bronze, stainless, or chrome over bronze, just saying white Marelon on white hulls looks clean to me.
    Not only that, the metal ones shrink when cold, thus allowing for sealant voids over time from expanding and contracting.
    Champion 206
    250XB

Shrinkage is a myth... well with respect to bronze thru hulls, anyways. LOL!

You can make a case for Marelon over bronze but that ain't it. Glass fiber reinforced polymers actually shrink more than bronze but still not enough to cause separation from the bedding compound. Marelon's advantage over bronze would be corrosion resistance and expense and perhaps, as mentioned above, cosmetic. They're plenty strong and not as susceptible to UV and oxidation as the old plastic fittings that came in our boats from the factory.

While I doubt Perko's bronze thru hulls are pure tin bronze, I'm sure they are one of the other low/no zinc copper alloys that are extremely corrosion resistant. Plus, our application is in freshwater not seawater and we don't leave our boats in the water 24-7.

In reality, either is fine. You could probably use the old plastic thru hulls and be ok as long as you changed them out every 5 years or so.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 06-04-2017 at 03:39 PM.