Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Pocket Rock (Plug Knocker)

This isn't my idea, I got it off the Hank Parker show. This past Sunday I saved a Mann's 30+ three times, a Picasso chatterbait, and a $5 V&M jig five times. This in addition to all the other lures I've saved since I started using it. So I thought I'd pass it along.

Nothing but a 3oz. sinker that I got in a pack of 3 for around four bucks at Academy and some old snap swivels that I haven't used since I used to take the kids fishing off the bank. I've only lost one of them from it not freeing the bait and having to break off. I just keep it in my pocket and when I get hung up just get over it and clip this on and drop it down. Caution: this only works on lures hung up under water and is of no use for lures up in the trees.

Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Thanks for that info Sooner. I will try it.

I use 1.5 ounce bell sinkers and a small paper clip.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    This isn't my idea, I got it off the Hank Parker show. This past Sunday I saved a Mann's 30+ three times, a Picasso chatterbait, and a $5 V&M jig five times. This in addition to all the other lures I've saved since I started using it. So I thought I'd pass it along.

Nothing but a 3oz. sinker that I got in a pack of 3 for around four bucks at Academy and some old snap swivels that I haven't used since I used to take the kids fishing off the bank. I've only lost one of them from it not freeing the bait and having to break off. I just keep it in my pocket and when I get hung up just get over it and clip this on and drop it down. Caution: this only works on lures hung up under water and is of no use for lures up in the trees.

Doesn't that depend on how hard you throw them?

Been doing this for years but with a 2 oz weight. Saved me a lot of money. Thanks for sharing

6. Member
    What is the technique. Just drop it down of do you have to shake it?

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    What is the technique. Just drop it down of do you have to shake it?
    First technique is; don't set the hook into a tree stump or branch. If it isn't pulling back and going up, down, or sideways then it's probably a hang up. I fish with some young guys that just can't get it through their head to not pull as hard as they can when they get hung up. That just buries the hook further, making it that much harder to get off.

Second, learn to do what I call "twanging the line"....put some tension on the line and then give it a good PLUCK and drop the tip of the rod at the same time. Two or three of those and many times you'll shake it off. This takes a little practice to get the technique right so don't give up too soon.

Next, try to get the boat on the other side of the hang up. It could be nothing more than hung under a rock or something and it'll pull away easy for the opposite side.

If all that doesn't work then it's time for the pocket rock. Get as close to right on top of it if you can...clip it on and let it go. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 jiggles up and down and 99 times out of 100 you'll get it all back. I started using these things last year and I can't count how many jigs, chatterbaits, crankbaits, and rigs I've retrieved with it and only lost one that I couldn't get the lure free. It works so much better than the heavy fish shaped thing on a string that I used for years.

I also carry a homemade retriever stick that I made from a 10' painters extension roller stick. I put a hardware hook on the end of it. It works pretty good for those "stupid" casts where the lure is hung in a tree branch on the bank or on top of a stump sticking out of the water.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    done that for years but I dipped mine in Liquid Rubber and let it set up, little easier on the lure when you bounce it.

9. Member
    Tried it today for the first time. I used a 2-ounce cannonball sinker I had on hand. Retrieved a spinnerbait and a 3/4 football jig (3X) in 20-ft of water. The old hound dog stayed in the locker.

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS

11. Member
    Still had the jig on today and knocked off stumps a couple of more times. Later in the day, having forgot about the wear and tear on the line a 2-ounce sinker can produce, I snapped it off on a cast. Some jigs were just meant to be lost

12. Member
    Gonna try this. Thanks.

13. Member
    Try this one, best ever. Has saved me lot of money over the years. http://www.obiestackle.com/
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Ordered my weights off Amazon and gonna rig a few of these up

15. Member
    For the KY Lake folks, Kens TBC bait company in Lake City near the dam has several shapes of weights in 2-4 oz sizes to try as knockers.

I've had some luck just using tire weights from a tire shop. Epoxy a paper clip onto it and you're in business! I usually bend the paper clip open so it's shaped like an "S" then bend the top section (away from the tire weight) around my line so it doesn't fall off while sliding down. Works very well!

This way if you don't manage to knock the lure free, the loss of the plug knocker was at least as close to free as you can get...not that the lead weight and swivel idea costs that much to begin with, just something else to consider!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

17. Member
    Try this one, best ever. Has saved me lot of money over the years. http://www.obiestackle.com/
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

18. Member
    Save your old spark plugs. Put a paper clip under the contact wire and bend it down. Saw this years ago in a Field &Stream.
    2015 Bullet 21XRS, 2021 250 Pro XS 4s - 3B014359

19. Scraps
    Yep. I have a couple out of the pyramid weights. They don't seem to work that good, but work. The "rounder" weights seem to work better.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

20. Scraps
    I'll try the clip on first, then maybe the Money Pole, and last resort the one on the leash cuzz I'm uncoordinated and that one is tough to use. especially in a lite breeze.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast