Yamaha prop on Mercury?

Can you run a Yamaha prop on a Mercury motor? Is there any advantage of doing so?

Yes you can with the right mounting hardware. Depends on what hull, some benefit from the Yami (or other companies) props, some dont.

What boat and motor combo do you have?
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Yes you can with the right mounting hardware. Depends on what hull, some benefit from the Yami (or other companies) props, some dont.

What boat and motor combo do you have?
    It would come as a spare prop on a ranger 487vs I'm looking to buy.

Might work well on that hull, only thing you can do is try it. Read up on here about what is needed on your particular setup to mount that thing up correctly to give it a run. In any case it would be a good idea to learn how to mount it and keep it (and everything needed to mount it, might require a different thrust washer or something) on the boat as a spare.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    I just installed a Yamaha 13x21 on my 2002 90hp Merc, it performs great but had to use the Yamaha's front and back washer and the Merc's self locking prop nut. Naturally you can't use the Yamaha's castle nut and cotter pin(no hole in prop shaft) Mercury locking tab's won't work either. I'm just running it with the self locking nut torqued to 55 ft lbs and hoping it doesn't let go. By the way, any help on the locking device would be appreciated. I hope this helps a little.

6. Member
    check it often/ rev is where it will come off
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Derek >"It would come as a spare prop on a ranger 487vs I'm looking to buy. " my ? is it already with the Boat wanting to buy ? Prior Owner may of already had it set up to run on the motor for a spare? Just like most used boats have already had the prop to pad set and locked down , long time ago..