Just thinking out loud...

Over the last two years, there has been a lot of consternation and frustration with the compressors on our Optimax and ProXS motors. Me included. They were even on back order for a time. Many took the opportunity to bash Mercury over the seemingly common failure. The latest service bulletin on the compressor reed plate confirms (in my mind) that there was a problem with them.

Mercury Marine could have just continued supplying compressors to those that failed and none of us would have been any wiser. I appears, Mercury realized too many were failing and did some investigating. They identified the problem, solved it and let the Mercury Marine dealer network know about the issue via the Service Bulletin. It might just be me but there have not been very many "my compressor died" threads in the last couple of months.

Lets all hope our compressors become more reliable and THANK YOU Mercury for taking care of us consumers!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Banned
    Just remember, service bulletin is just that. Not a recall of any sort. If ya are out of warranty, the cost is on the individual.

3. Member
    Optimax has been around since 1998 or so....its 2017. So thats 19 years or so to realize an issue. From what I have read and understood this tsb (bulletin or recall) is only for more recent models (2016ish). What about the rest of the years (19 years) not under warranty that have failed? Consumers should just eat the cost and be thankful b/c mercury finally recognizes they have made an inferior product for nearly two decades? I will thank mercury when they write me a check to reimburse me for their faulty junk and time spent not on the water.. 2 months of not hearing about "as much compressor problems" does not jusify 19yrs of producing inferior products at a premium price point.
    Last edited by Keystonekiller; 05-27-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

4. Member
    Well this is a new bit of info for me. My Pro XS is a 2013 model. I'm not under warranty , nor did I get an notice of this from Mercury. Is my compressor built with faulty reed parts ? I already had to replace one on an 08 model and after servicing the fuel system the hit was close to $2K. Maybe if my Pro XS has the faulty parts I should bite the bullet and pay to have it updated ? It would surely be cheaper than a repair after a failure. Wish Mercury would have notified me if my motor is affected .
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    Check the Julian Date code on your compressor, here's how.......

Click on this>>>>Question

6. Member
    OK thanks
    GETFISHED !!!