Looking at unknown year Cajun 160?

Going to check out a Cajun 160 wife sent me a picture but I can't figure out how to upload it. What should I look for and what can you guys tell me about them?

Cajun boats were built by Mastercrafters Corp. in Winnsboro, LA. from '85 to '97, when Genmar Holdings bought and closed them. Good rough water hulls for a bass boat (due to deep-vee hull entry), with fairly good build construction and quality. Made with typical chopped strand construction with some foam flotation - but not solid foam like some other brands.

Like any used boat, if it's structurally sound, most of what you are buying is the engine. Have a good mechanic check out the motor (compression check, leakdown test, etc.).
    Check the transom by tilting motor up and standing on it while checking transom for any flexing. Cajun transoms are aluminum honeycomb composite - no wood - so it's unlikely the transom will be bad. But the stringers and decks are still wood. So you need to look for any signs of soft floors, or leakage around fittings that may indicate water intrusion.
    If it's solid, and the engine checks out good and the price is right, Cajun's are fine riding boats.

3. Member
    Well I checked it out today and was really hoping it was in great shape. I pulled up and there was a sign for $1200 which made me worry and needless to say the boat was outside it's whole life? The deck was a mess soft and middle compartment (rod locker)? Was non existent. The carpet was trash, no seats at all, gauges and switches had rust, Johnson 90 was on back looked decent, and most compartments had water in them. I was upset I've been getting into river tournaments and wanted a nice little rig and after looking these boats up hoped I'd found one. I will try to post pics tomorrow once I figure out how.

4. Member
    BTW it was a Cajun 171 Pro
    1993 Gambler 206

I'd say pass. Neglected boats are money pits, and if you aren't looking for a project, you can quickly become frustrated with it.

6. Member
    Yeah it's way over what I would be willing to do..

7. Member
    I think the first year for Cajun was 1977, we were the fifth dealer signed up with Cajun. I know we sold a lot of them in 1978.