Drive On Trailer Jacks

I just got my first boat with tandem trailer. I want to be prepared in case of a tire problem, but need some advice. I'm looking at a ramp type jack called a trailer-aid. Just drive up on it and it is supposed to raise the other wheel off the ground. My trailer is a 2017 Ranger Trail tandem. It has a torsion axle with what is described as an independent suspension. This makes me wonder, if I pull one wheel up on this jack, will the other wheel raise off the ground or will the independent suspension prevent the other wheel from raising high enough to change a tire? Anyone had experience with this type of jack and trailer?
    It's what you learn AFTER you know it all that counts...

2017 Ranger Z519
    Mercury Pro XS 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G2N

2. Member
    They might work good. Instead of those, I bought the small 3000 pound aluminum floor jack from Harbor Freight. It was $79 with the sale coupon. It is so much more versatile. I used it to jack an axle down off the frame on a boat trailer that had broken a spring on the highway to put some wood blocks between them so the guy could drive home. I also have used it to help other motorists with flat tires and broken or rusted in place car jacks. Very lightweight, you can keep it in the box it came in.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ump-62160.html

I just carry a 1"x 12" board and bottle jack for years. Don't buy Bills style from Walmart, I did and it never lifted/worked, kept it NIB, and stored in Camper for a few yrs. day came to use it NO WORKED. Walmart wouldn't even exchange or refund eve with receipt. There is a Harbor Freight 45 miles in another town/state from me. been there once. But days coming for a future trip there with a list! New hyd cylinder for cherry picker and a few other goodies

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I just put my truck jack on the end of the axle. I carry a couple of chunks of 2X4 under my seat and use one between the axle and jack to protect the paint. No need to over complicate it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

The torsion axels will not move much, the drive on deal will work but test it for shits and giggles. I had a bearring fail. I went and found a couple rocks in the field to do the same thing

6. Member
    I have a 2003 Ranger and just used my Trailer Aid for the first time a few weeks ago. Hardest part was actually seeing when to stop when you got the trailer up on it. I took me a few times as I actually drove up and over it and had to get out and reset it. When I finally got it set the flat came off easily,but, I had to line up the spare, sit on the ground in front of the tire and kick it to force it on. Rear axle was about 1/2" to low for a fully inflated tire to fit but I got it on.

Build a step chock block out of 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 lumber. Can by built with as many steps as needed.
    Fairly cheap and can be used for a lot of different things.

8. Member
    I have the Trailer Aide as well and it works just fine . I have a Ranger 2007 619VS boat on a torsion tandem axle. Trailer Aide works fine and you can remove any tire, however like mentioned above, have someone watch as you drive up the ramp, so you don't drive over the Trailer Aide. One other thing about torsion axles, they are notorious for spindles to bend causing tire wear. So try to avoid potholes and high curbs.

Thanks folks. I appreciate all the input.
    It's what you learn AFTER you know it all that counts...

2017 Ranger Z519
    Mercury Pro XS 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G2N

10. Member
    You need to search this out "Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp" it is what I use on my trailer.
    Rocket

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I just put my truck jack on the end of the axle. I carry a couple of chunks of 2X4 under my seat and use one between the axle and jack to protect the paint. No need to over complicate it.
    I used my truck jack to try to lift my boat. Got the jack in place and had to add a couple of the handle extensions so I could turn it. Things were going fine until the hook end of the handle broke where it goes into the eye bolt of the jack. Had to call for roadside assistance at that point. I too bought a small floor jack from Harbor Freight as well and carry it in the bed of my truck.

12. mikesxpress
    Yellow model of Trailer-Aide. Kept in the truck and used for yearly mait. Be aware that even though they come with bolt heads and gripper notches on the bottom they try to kick out when pulling up on them when used on hard surfaces like asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Paris View Post
    I just got my first boat with tandem trailer. I want to be prepared in case of a tire problem, but need some advice. I'm looking at a ramp type jack called a trailer-aid. Just drive up on it and it is supposed to raise the other wheel off the ground. My trailer is a 2017 Ranger Trail tandem. It has a torsion axle with what is described as an independent suspension. This makes me wonder, if I pull one wheel up on this jack, will the other wheel raise off the ground or will the independent suspension prevent the other wheel from raising high enough to change a tire? Anyone had experience with this type of jack and trailer?
    I have the trailer-aid and have used it a couple of times and it worked fine!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

14. Member
    Yellow model of Trailer-Aide. Kept in the truck and used for yearly mait. Be aware that even though they come with bolt heads and gripper notches on the bottom they try to kick out when pulling up on them when used on hard surfaces like asphalt.
    Been There Done That , I now have floor jack and a bottle jack,piece of mind

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    X2 ^^^
    That's all I carry.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Difference between yellow and black? And what's the little pad thing they put on the Plus versions?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp