Judging a trophy tom

I'm not really a turkey hunter but I watch them around the yard all the time. I have no idea what a "trophy" tom looks like on the hoof. People talk about weight and spurs and beard length but do you know what you're getting before you pull the trigger???? They all look fat when they're puffed up and strutting and spurs are hard to measure in tall grass.

Had a pair walk past the window a couple weeks ago. Spurs looked pretty long and they were kicking their beards as they walked but I have no idea if a turkey hunter would get excited about them.

I pay attention to beard length and fan structure. As long as its not a jake I am pulling the trigger, part of the excitement is going up and seeing what the spurs look like. I've seen 3+ yr old birds have spindley beards and 2 yr olds have ropes. Hard to judge based on beard thickness. Size too is deceiving. A tom that eats corn and beans will be 25-28lbs and a timber chicken that eats bugs and whatever leftover acorns the deer didn't will be a 20-22. my F.I.L. shot a 3+ yr old tom of limb hanger quality that weighed 18 pounds.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    I pay attention to beard length and fan structure. As long as its not a jake I am pulling the trigger, part of the excitement is going up and seeing what the spurs look like. I've seen 3+ yr old birds have spindley beards and 2 yr olds have ropes. Hard to judge based on beard thickness. Size too is deceiving. A tom that eats corn and beans will be 25-28lbs and a timber chicken that eats bugs and whatever leftover acorns the deer didn't will be a 20-22. my F.I.L. shot a 3+ yr old tom of limb hanger quality that weighed 18 pounds.
    So if you shot a tom with a full tail and a 10" beard but he only weighed 18 pounds with 1" spurs would you be disappointed? Or is it like shooting a 6-pointer--nothing to brag about but at least you got one?

4. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    If he's 3 or older, regardless of physical characteristics, he's a 'trophy'.

And I'm not likely to turn down many 2-yr olds, either.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    So if you shot a tom with a full tail and a 10" beard but he only weighed 18 pounds with 1" spurs would you be disappointed? Or is it like shooting a 6-pointer--nothing to brag about but at least you got one?
    I'd be tickled. I was just pointing out a mature bird can weigh the same as a jake. Hard to judge a bird by size.

6. Member
    If he's stepping on his beard...he's a sure enough goodun
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    If he's 3 or older, regardless of physical characteristics, he's a 'trophy'.

And I'm not likely to turn down many 2-yr olds, either.
    Very well put.

Toms can lose a lot of weight during breeding season. Fighting other jakes and toms off and breeding hens, along with limited feeding takes its toll.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."