Deck size new 721 vs. 920

I am looking at a new Phoenix and trying to decide between the 721 or 920. If I understand correctly from steering wheel back they are very similar/same. I am most interested in the front deck size. I will regularly be fishing 3 people in the boat. What would you guys think would work better the longer deck of the 721 or the wider deck of the 920? The lake I have my boat on has a 21 ft size limit on boats and a 45 mph speed limit so deck size is most important and the 921 won't work. Thoughts?

I would think length would help with 3 people more than width....the 721 is a beast!

Sticky thread at the top of the page has all text dimensions.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=464768

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Co. Hank View Post
    I would think length would help with 3 people more than width....the 721 is a beast!

Sticky thread at the top of the page has all text dimensions.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=464768

+1

4. Member
    the 900 series also has upgraded wiring

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    You're only talking about a 5" diff in length.
    I would say that the diff in width is like 4" since they raised the deck on the 721. Used to be 5".
    The width diff will be more noticeable than the length, and more roomy with 2 up on the front.
    Either boat is great and there really isn't a wrong choice. Speeds are closely similar

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    You're only talking about a 5" diff in length.
    I would say that the diff in width is like 4" since they raised the deck on the 721. Used to be 5".
    The width diff will be more noticeable than the length, and more roomy with 2 up on the front.
    Either boat is great and there really isn't a wrong choice. Speeds are closely similar
    This goes to prove that anyone needs to go look for themselves. Bring some rods and get in both boats and get a feel for what you like. When I was looking the length was more noticeable than the width in terms of roominess. It's all personal preference.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    This goes to prove that anyone needs to go look for themselves. Bring some rods and get in both boats and get a feel for what you like. When I was looking the length was more noticeable than the width in terms of roominess. It's all personal preference.
    Agreed. I looked at both and really liked the length of the 721 front deck better then the extra width of the 920. I fish 2 people on the front, no problem. As for the comment about the upgraded wiring...true, the wiring is upgraded, it's a little wider in front, and there are a few more chrome trim pieces on the 920. To me, the "upgrades" were not worth $6K extra for the 920. In the end, it's a fishing boat and not a show boat (although I get compliments every time I have it hooked up). They both start, run, have a great ride, are fast, have great storage, and look better than most any other boat on the water.

I love my 721. Go get in both and decide which is right for you.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

8. Member
    Looking at both together up north where I am is hard. Closest dealer is 3 hr away and currently only has a 721 which I looked at. I saw a 920 down at KY lake in the water but have not seen them together. I know either one will be great just want to make this a boat I will have for a long time.

9. Member
    I have a 920 and by buddy has a 721. It's much more comfortable fishing 2 on the front in my 920. We can stand side by side on the 920 but it's really tight on the 721. As far as the speed goes I could actually out run him until I put the talons on mine. The ride is a little different between the to but both ride great. I used to be a ranger man but phoenix is the best riding and best laid out boat on the market in my opinion.

10. Member
    Was just at dealer comparing these two..to my suprise we measured from bow shroud to edge of center locker. I dont remember the actual measurement bur 920 actually had 3-4 more inches of useable deck length. This completely contradicted everything I have read. I even watched the guy double check both measurements we had 3 people there doing this. Basically as far as space is concerned there is 0 benefit to the 721. Unfortunately I was actually looking for reasons to talk myself Into the cheaper boat! Lol.

11. Member
    It's ALL personal preference. I had a wide boat, a nitro. I went with the 721. There's only one other boat I would trade for besides another 721, a 921.

Radar,

I provided the measurements earlier this year (link below) and had the same conclusion. The rod compartment lids are also longer on the 920. Sometimes, the 920 does not get the respect that it deserves. I do agree the 721 is an excellent bargain but the 920 is as well for what you are getting.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=775383

Kenneth
    Last edited by Kenneth ALBassr; 07-23-2017 at 02:26 PM.

13. Member
    So the deck on the 920 is longer than the 721?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCARLSON203 View Post
    So the deck on the 920 is longer than the 721?
    Most of the 721's extra length is in front of the tm pedal and isn't really usuable space.

15. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb357 View Post
    Most of the 721's extra length is in front of the tm pedal and isn't really usuable space.
    +1