50 Hp cutting out

2000 Merc 50 Hp with big foot. SN. 0T07113.

it idles fine. When I got to accelerate it bogs down and begins to cut out mid range, but full throttle comes out of it. Carbs have cleaned and adjusted, and new plugs. Also run quick silver quikclean and quikcare in the tank.

I have not changed the filter or remote tank fuel line yet.

Any ideas?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks. I'll check the mentioned fuel parts in the forum.

4. Member
    What would be odds the stator is going bad?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hard to estimate... not very likely, but would be much easier to ascertain with a complete serial number (yours is mising a digit).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Well I'll have to look at sn again, but the fuel line, filter , and pump replacement helped a ton. The fuel line from tank to motor did have build up in it. Only other problem was when it got hot out and the motor was warm it cut out just a little.

I had the same problem with my old boat. The problem persisted after spending two or three hundred on carb work. I went and talked to the mechanic that did the work and he gave me a new squeeze bulb and told me to put that on. Cured the problem forever. Just sayin'.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    Finally found the problem. The spark plug boots are not connecting on two coil leads. There is corrosion in inside it. Anyone know where to buy new boots or do I need new coil leads?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Simply order new OEM plug wires to install.

10. Member
    The plug wires seemed to be glued in. Wouldnyou know if they unscrew or clip in? Coil number is mercury 339 825101T

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You likely have the wasted-fire style coil (and those wires are NOT removeable).

If you would, please edit SERIAL NUMBER so that we have the entire number to work with...

12. Member
    0T071113, had two bad spark plug wires. New coils have forced that. They were fixed wires. Now need a 809587 blue joint. I'm missing on for the plunger that goes into the vacuum. Online has decent prices for few dollars but shipping is crazy.